that iTunes Festival thing got me worried about XBMC on my AppleTV
Maybe this is a bit off-topic but I'm wondering something.

Today I noticed that new "iTunes Festival" icon just magically somehow appear on my AppleTV main screen. While it's cool to see these concerts, the fact that Apple was able to just "push" this update to my jailbroken AppleTV2 with XBMC has me concerned. In the past (before I updated to the latest iOS on my AppleTV2), I recall there was a package called "updatebegone" that was designed to prevent the AppleTV from "phoning home" so-to-speak. I'm not sure if this is the case with the newer versions of iOS on AppleTV2.

If Apple is able to push new "channels" and "apps" onto the appletv main menu now without any consent, is it possible they could not remove XBMC or the jailbreak without my consent?
Yeah noticed that to on my ATV2 also got some Hulu app that has installed by itself, stupid Apple. I havent asked them to install anything on my ATV2.
It's pretty harmless. Apple seems to use some customized HTML stuff to update those kinds of interfaces, but it shouldn't be any kind of code change.
Apps will appear or disappear on your Apple TV according to region. Netflix wasn't on the UK ATV2 until they launched their service here - then "hey presto!" there it was*. If you change your iTunes store location to US from UK, the Hulu+ app will appear along with other sports channels; change it back and they will disappear. You won't be able to subscribe to Hulu+ on a UK Apple TV though unless you have a US iTunes account. I know, I've tried.

However, if you're a UK based ice hockey fan, you can subscribe to NHL's Gamecenter internationally (at their web site), change to US iTunes store in ATV2 "Settings", the NHL app will appear and you can log in with your Gamecenter details. I'm not sure why this isn't available internationally when NHL Gamecenter membership is. You will need to change back to UK to purchase anything from iTunes.

*(The Netflix app could always be made to appear on the British ATV2 by changing the store location but it wasn't much use until their service was available here)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
that iTunes Festival thing got me worried about XBMC on my AppleTV0