Simply the best fanless mini-pc....
(2012-09-10, 16:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Well, I suppose in the pure logic sense if something is unique then it can be declared "the best". By that rule it's also "the worst".
If you come accross a fanless mini-pc to challenge what I listed, you can post it in here. For now, it is the best fanless mini-pc I found..........

(2012-09-10, 16:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I was hoping for something a little more like an article or something saying it's the best -- maybe something that actually shows how it performs for HTPC. Being interested in mini-pcs and some of the mobile-based offerings I was hoping to see something but there's nothing to see here.
Google is your best friend, and here are review and spec......CompuLab Intense-PC - A Low-Power, Compact, Powerful Linux PC and Intel® Core™ i7-3517UE Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz).......

(2012-09-10, 18:25)DavidT99 Wrote: Stating that it is the best is a bit provocative. It may be the smallest, the most powerful, the quietest, the cheapest mini PC but is it the best? Only if it matches all of the aforementioned.
Again, you have to consider the overall intense of this fanless mini-pc. For now, it is the best fanless mini-pc on the market. If there is another one better than the one I listed, you can post it in here.....

(2012-09-10, 18:25)DavidT99 Wrote: BTW didn't Bluray post a thread recently stating that he had already found "the best"? Is there another "the best" coming out next week/month/year. Wink
Today's best may not be tomorrow's best in technologies.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-10, 18:10)outatouch0 Wrote: Wow tough crowd here blu...
I think 'best' is a fair characterization simply based on the HW specs... it's an i7 for crying out loud. We know what it can do. We know what usb3 can do, hdmi, etc...
What does one want to compare this to?
Many have disagreed with the 1st post, but none of them have offer any pre-built fanless mini-pc......

(2012-09-10, 17:56)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 16:39)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: They do for this Intense PC model at either 50-70C depending on HDD or SSD.
It looks like they tried to make the case,..the actual heat sink.
Yikes,..I'd be concerned about touching that thing when it's running.
I used to have a fanless PC at work, and the case is the heatsink. Since the case is the heatsink and it is much bigger than the standard CPU heatsink/fan, it doesn't feel hot at all. Since the heatsink is outside the case, it dissipates the heat much faster than when it is inside the case. It felt warm......

Fair enough,..and I've also had fanless PCs where they were warm,..but then there have been others that were downright Hot to the touch.
I suppose we'll see once someone purchases this, and posts their experience.
Thanks for sharing though,..it's definitely very nice looking.

(2012-09-10, 05:57)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-09, 21:39)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All I see here is a link to the product page and some specs. How did you come to declare this "simply the best"? Testing, reviews, something else?
Again, you're missing the magic word "MINI-PC". If there is a better fanless "MINI-PC" that look this good, with similar size (7.5″ x 6.3″ x 1.57″) and better spec than what I listed, you can post it in here......
I'm glad that you are in this forum.....you keep me up to date on technologies....Nod

I see your point on this fanless mini-pc being the best. I haven't seen one in these options, size, fanless, spec, etc on the market. Ofcourse, it cannot be compared to the bigger and more powerful fanless PC on the market......

Keep up the good work.....Big Grin

(2012-09-10, 19:09)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 17:56)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 16:39)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: They do for this Intense PC model at either 50-70C depending on HDD or SSD.
It looks like they tried to make the case,..the actual heat sink.
Yikes,..I'd be concerned about touching that thing when it's running.
I used to have a fanless PC at work, and the case is the heatsink. Since the case is the heatsink and it is much bigger than the standard CPU heatsink/fan, it doesn't feel hot at all. Since the heatsink is outside the case, it dissipates the heat much faster than when it is inside the case. It felt warm......

Fair enough,..and I've also had fanless PCs where they were warm,..but then there have been others that were downright Hot to the touch.
I suppose we'll see once someone purchases this, and posts their experience.
Thanks for sharing though,..it's definitely very nice looking.
The guy at Phoronix said "The external chassis for the Intense-PC is made out of aluminum to also serve as a heatsink for dissipating heat from this fan-less Linux PC. The PC did get very warm to the touch during operation, but at no point have I encountered any thermal-related performance issues."........I doubt that this 17w CPU/iGPU will get as hot as some higher power CPU.......

It looks like my car amp I used to have... interesting. But the best it's hard to say but a cool find.
I am looking at getting one of these fit-pc, but I was looking at one of the cheaper versions.

1. Which would be a better choice. The Intel 827E 1.4GHz single-core or 847E 1.10GHz dual-core?
2. The lower models have HD Graphics 2000. Are there any issues. I read a lot HD 4000 is much better.
3. How is this running XBMCbuntu? Any issues with install (wi-fi, remote)?

Thanks.
If you can afford the latest Intel HD4000 version, the CPU/iGPU in iVy are better than Sandy....there are plenty of users in here installed Linux on their Intel mobile HTPC...
The starting price for the Intense PC (Pro) is $949.00. I can can buy the SSD and RAM myself, but in the end it will cost ~$1100. I wish I could, but my current 2yr+ old media pc (revo 3610) was only $200 new.

I think the "entry" or "value" will serve my needs. What makes the Intel HD4000 better than the HD2000?
(2013-03-25, 08:10)kapperz Wrote: I think the "entry" or "value" will serve my needs. What makes the Intel HD4000 better than the HD2000?

The number is 2000 higher !

Seriously though, there are several benchmarks to be found online which show it performs anywhere between 70% - 500% better depending on the application
For 1080p playback there is no difference between Intel HD, HD2000, HD2500, HD3000 or HD4000.

You can build your own fanless mini-PC is this Akasa Euler fanless case for far less than one of those pre-builts. It didn't take long for it to come in stock when I ordered mine from these guys and they were great emailing me with updates, etc. I have the Intel DH61AG, i3-2120T, 8GB RAM and a 64GB mSATA SSD in the two I built.

(2013-03-25, 14:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For 1080p playback there is no difference between Intel HD, HD2000, HD2500, HD3000 or HD4000.

You can build your own fanless mini-PC is this Akasa Euler fanless case for far less than one of those pre-builts. It didn't take long for it to come in stock when I ordered mine from these guys and they were great emailing me with updates, etc. I have the Intel DH61AG, i3-2120T, 8GB RAM and a 64GB mSATA SSD in the two I built.

oooh, i like that case. £75 in the UK. Good price. Right i know what i'm using for my next build.
(2013-03-25, 09:47)Kibje Wrote:
(2013-03-25, 08:10)kapperz Wrote: I think the "entry" or "value" will serve my needs. What makes the Intel HD4000 better than the HD2000?

The number is 2000 higher !

Seriously though, there are several benchmarks to be found online which show it performs anywhere between 70% - 500% better depending on the application

Haha, yes higher number = better. I really meant to as...is there any noticeable menu delay when using a heavy skin between the HD2000/HD4000? Does 1080p play (for hours) consistently without shutter. If so, than there is not justification for the extra $$$. I did look up some information about the specs and percentages improved over the 2nd generation HD2000. Besides the small die-casting, less power consumption (but more heat). I really just wanted to know if the HD2000 can handle playing media with power to spare.

Thanks dougie Fresh. I'm looking into options to build my own. I'm very technically inclined, but haven't put together a fanless system before. Your system specs sound perfect.
(2013-03-25, 18:11)kapperz Wrote: Haha, yes higher number = better. I really meant to as...is there any noticeable menu delay when using a heavy skin between the HD2000/HD4000? Does 1080p play (for hours) consistently without shutter. If so, than there is not justification for the extra $$$. I did look up some information about the specs and percentages improved over the 2nd generation HD2000. Besides the small die-casting, less power consumption (but more heat). I really just wanted to know if the HD2000 can handle playing media with power to spare.

AFAIK, menus are rendered by the CPU so the GPU won't make a difference there. All the Intel HD GPUs are capable of 1080p. I tested the HD2000 with many high-bit rate MKV rips, both H.264 and VC-1 and they all played smoothly. I would say to go with what you can afford. If you have other uses in mind it's worth looking to see if the higher number is worth it but for 1080p just get what's the best deal to you. Capability isn't an issue.

(2013-03-25, 18:11)kapperz Wrote: Thanks dougie Fresh. I'm looking into options to build my own. I'm very technically inclined, but haven't put together a fanless system before. Your system specs sound perfect.

What motherboard and PSU did you go with?

The Intel DH61AG is the motherboard. It has on-board DC-DC power supply so I am offering a 90W external aftermarket AC adapter with them.
Thanks Dougie,

I was just looking into a Pico PSU, but $20 on the site isn't bad. Looking on Newegg...
MB: Intel DH61AG = $117
CPU: i3-2120T = $134
Case: Akasa AK-ITX05-BK = $94
PSU offer with case = $20
SSD 64GB = ~$70
RAM: I can get away with 4GB (maybe 2GB) $20-$30

Total = $455 (not including shipping)

The FitPC "value" system would be around $600 (not including shipping). Plus, it would have a lesser CPU. Decisions decisions.

Not to get off topic, but I'm considering Android too (OUYA, XIOS)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simply the best fanless mini-pc....1