At my wits end. PLEASE HELP
Exclamation 
Alright, Ill try my best to explain my issues.

I have two desktop computers running xbmc. One is in my bedroom and had two external hard drives attached to it running windows 7 (acts as my server - or at least i want it to.. its constantly on). One HDD is for movies and the other is TV.

The other desktop is in the family room. It is a Zotac running OpenElec. It looks for the HDD's on the other computer.

Both are running eden 11.0

Heres my issues.

Bedroom is just fine. Finds everything and no issues at all. Everything seems to be happening on the Open Elec machine in the family room. It rarely finds the shares. I have both HHDs shared through the network as well. I go to WindowsNetwork (SMB) > Workgroup which shows my 2 laptops and the Open elec machine. Generally when i can access MSHOME, thats where the bedroom computer is being found. It constantly gives me the error "Connection Timed Out".

Im wondering if I can move the Bedroom computer into the Workgroup section... if 1 - that would fix my problem and 2 how to do it..

Also when i can access it it add the sources no problem at all and then when i go to update the library a few days later it wipes it clean like it cant find it again... I dont know if its a setting on my router or what..

When I look at my network on my laptop the bedroom computer and OpenElec don't show up about 3/4 the time either. I have to keep refreshing or go into the bedroom and move the mouse and then it might show up on the network.

I'm at a total loss. Can someone please help me??

Ideally I'd like all of the computers to show up on my network and all of them to show up in XBMC and solve this thing once and for all.

I would post a log file but idk how to pull it from the Open Elec since its not showing up in my network.. I dont know how to access it from the laptop.

Thanks if you can help me out I really appreciate it.

Really sorry if i confused anyone. Im confused myself.

Joe

Follow me on Twitter @DeniedByFleury
1. Definitely get all machines on to the same workgroup (see Openelec settings addon/Network setting in XBMC - but I think you do it in the OE settings add on IIRC)
2. Consider using an autostart.sh in Openelec to delay xbmc startup by ~5 to 10 seconds, it often boots too fast and the network isn't up when XBMC starts. A long standing, very annoying glitch...

(The OE forums are riddled with issues and solves just like this)

Even better, run hanewin NFS on your WIN server and enjoy speedier, neater NFS streaming to your clients....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
thanks for the help, however i dont understand a thing you just said.. sorry for not understanding...

No need to be sorry but if I were you I'd learn to use Google and check the guides on the OE site for a start.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=openelec+change+workgroup
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Main_Page

etc

Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Ive been searching for weeks for a fix with no end in sight.. thanks for the help. sorry for the noob-tendencies.

if your external drives are usb drives there are often default settings that turn them off/disconnect them after a period of idle. you likely want to disable that. google 'tgtc' for the best windows guide ever. you can search the guide for how to adjust these settings (i believe they are in your power settings as well as in device manager).
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
At my wits end. PLEASE HELP0