which software best for PVR?
sorry if this is not the right place, I've been doing some research and everything i've seen pretty much says that XBMC doesn't work that well as a DVR/PVR. One thing i've noticed on just about all of them is none seem to be able to do series recordings. Is this accurate? I believe it is with media portal and for the record. Those seem to be the only 2 that would run on windows and not require a dedicated box to run mythtv which i'm not sure if that can do series recordings either.

Then if I did use xbmc for PVR, is the only way to watch on other tv's to have a computer connected to each tv? I mean there is no option to use other devices like with windows media center (I know that seems to be down to xbox and something from ceton at this point).

Finally, I know this is way out of the realm of XBMC, but does anyone know if 2 hdhomeruns will integrate fine for 6 channel recording?
anyone? maybe i'm asking in the wrong place?
I think maybe you don't have an answer is its down to personal preference and what works for you. I use XBMC everyday as a PVR and all I can say is I love it! Its not as intuitive as other PVR's on the market but for me there is just something about it and lately is has got really good/stable. I can series record also ( I use TvHeadEnd), just have to setup in a web browser. I also love dropping Windows + WMC as it always seems to break after a while.
well thats what i'm asking, so none of them then will do series recording straight through xbmc? i was thinking of just running the tv's off of xbmc boxes, but the wife has to be able to handle it so i was hoping there was at least one windows solution that could do series recording. even if its a linux solution, could possibly run one of the computers on linux if necessary.
No I don't think XBMC supports series record yet but think it is in the pipeline. . . . . I have been using LinuxMint with XBMC-PVR and it has been good. The only thing I need the browser for is it setup series record and configure TVHeadEnd. Sorry but cant be much more help than that, but after using XBMC now for about 6 months I would struggle to back to windows and WMC.
I can recommend DVBViewer, it has a web-browser based recording service which is pretty easy to use and quite powerful. It supports all kinds of recurring times, EPG search (even automatic for series and so on)
It is not that well integrated with XBMC just yet, but there is an initial PVR plugin available now.
DVBViewer itselft costs 15€, I've been using it for the last 6 years and can say it's well wortht he investment...regular updates, plenty of new features and it even supports the new SAT>IP protocol already which is quite nice and will be very useful in the future...
To be clear, XBMC does not record anything. The backend software does all the recording.

For instance, I have MediaPortal running with 4 tuners (HDHomeRun dual tuner and 2 Hauppauge HD-PVR's) and I use ForTheRecord to tie MediaPortal to XBMC. The reason I use ForTheRecord as 'middleware' is because of its awesome scheduling capabilities. As the_mouse mentioned earlier, you can use a web browser to set up all your recordings (Series or single recordings) and let it go. All the Series/Single recordings show up in XBMC for your pleasure. XBMC is just a client hooking to your backend...

So to answer your question... Yes, you can do series recordings in MediaPortal/ForTheRecord/TV Headend and they will show up in your XBMC client.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
(2012-09-18, 14:23)wileecoyote Wrote: To be clear, XBMC does not record anything. The backend software does all the recording.

For instance, I have MediaPortal running with 4 tuners (HDHomeRun dual tuner and 2 Hauppauge HD-PVR's) and I use ForTheRecord to tie MediaPortal to XBMC. The reason I use ForTheRecord as 'middleware' is because of its awesome scheduling capabilities. As the_mouse mentioned earlier, you can use a web browser to set up all your recordings (Series or single recordings) and let it go. All the Series/Single recordings show up in XBMC for your pleasure. XBMC is just a client hooking to your backend...

So to answer your question... Yes, you can do series recordings in MediaPortal/ForTheRecord/TV Headend and they will show up in your XBMC client.

I understand that, but the front dend does the recording, or schedules the recording. Like mediaportal or mediacenter can schedule series recordings without issue from what I understand. its not really a problem for me to schedule on the web, but that won't really work well for the wife.

i don't really understand the mediaportal/for the record thing with xbmc, why not just use for the record by itself?
(2012-09-18, 17:00)robl45 Wrote: I understand that, but the front dend does the recording, or schedules the recording. Like mediaportal or mediacenter can schedule series recordings without issue from what I understand. its not really a problem for me to schedule on the web, but that won't really work well for the wife.

i don't really understand the mediaportal/for the record thing with xbmc, why not just use for the record by itself?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking/saying. You are correct, you should be able to schedule the recordings via the client, but unfortunately cannot at this time (series recordings.)

I have to use MediaPortal due to support for the Hauppauge HD-PVR. If ForTheRecord supported the HD-PVR I would get rid of MediaPortal all together. Maybe one day Smile

Also.... Im not sure if you and/or your wife use iPhones, but there is an app for ForTheRecord that you can use to schedule recordings. Just a thought.

we use android, i thought their was an app for that too. I'll have to look into this more and see if the expense is worth it. I was thinking of going this route because comcast dvr is only 2 recordings and to get 2 gets insanely expensive. Uverse is limited to 3 hd channels and the dishes in florida are useless when it rains.
I'm not sure about android, it would be worth some research.

If you have comcast, you should be able to get your locals via QAM (HD HomeRun) and HD channels via HD-PVR or the cheaper Colussus. You can get an HDHomeRun for around $90.00 and the Colossus sells around $125. I just sold two Colossus tuners on eBay for around $80 each Sad

Most of my recordings are series recordings on local channels so my HDHomeRun (dual tuner) does most of the recording. I also have two other HD-PVR tuners tied to my Dish Network STB's that provide all the other channels. I do have a few series recordings set for the History Channel and Science Channel, but they are only 2-3 episodes a week so those go unused for the most part. Until football season arrives, then ESPN & the NFL network are my best friend's Smile

Are you mainly/only using XBMC for live tv?
(2012-09-18, 20:24)wileecoyote Wrote: I'm not sure about android, it would be worth some research.

If you have comcast, you should be able to get your locals via QAM (HD HomeRun) and HD channels via HD-PVR or the cheaper Colussus. You can get an HDHomeRun for around $90.00 and the Colossus sells around $125. I just sold two Colossus tuners on eBay for around $80 each Sad

Most of my recordings are series recordings on local channels so my HDHomeRun (dual tuner) does most of the recording. I also have two other HD-PVR tuners tied to my Dish Network STB's that provide all the other channels. I do have a few series recordings set for the History Channel and Science Channel, but they are only 2-3 episodes a week so those go unused for the most part. Until football season arrives, then ESPN & the NFL network are my best friend's Smile

Are you mainly/only using XBMC for live tv?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but could you tell me how you got your HD-PVRs working with 4therecord using mediaportal? I can get mediaportal working with my HD-PVRs, I just have trouble wrapping my head around the 4therecord part. You can PM so that we don't take over this thread. Thanks!
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
so it seems there is a big problem, using cablecard tuners apparently don't work with most backends besides windows media center from what I understand so I guess I can't use media portal or 4therecord.
Correct, cablecards are out for the most part. MM is working on 'copy freely' support for mediaportal, but my understanding is its a ways off.
well it seems that myth can do copy freely which it seems most channels are on comcast and windows media center will work correctly but the real problem i found out is syfy isn't in HD on comcast so i'm thinking this might not work out very well Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which software best for PVR?0