Share same setup and userdata across multiple PC's
I understand how to use the "-p" option for the portable install of XBMC, which solved the problem of allowing the all users accounts on the same PC to share it.

However, is it possible to centralize the setup configuration AND userdata so that multiple PC's can have XBMC installed, but the actual setup and userdata would be stored/shared centrally? This would allow for all PCs to always be in sync with settings changes and database updates.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
See MySQL (wiki) for the safe way to share XBMC's databases.
Great thank you!

I also just uncovered this lifehacker guide just in case anyone else comes across this thread.
http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-syn...-the-house
(2012-09-17, 09:01)CaptainKen Wrote: but the actual setup and userdata would be stored/shared centrally? This would allow for all PCs to always be in sync with settings changes and database updates.
This isn't advisable and can cause issues.
Use at own risk
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The lifehacker one is actually outdated (we used to link to it all the time, but eventually had to make our own guide). There's also a couple of alternative guides linked at the last page of the wiki guide, too.
(2012-09-17, 17:46)Ned Scott Wrote: The lifehacker one is actually outdated (we used to link to it all the time, but eventually had to make our own guide). There's also a couple of alternative guides linked at the last page of the wiki guide, too.

I assume you mean this guide?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries
(2012-09-18, 19:59)CaptainKen Wrote:
(2012-09-17, 17:46)Ned Scott Wrote: The lifehacker one is actually outdated (we used to link to it all the time, but eventually had to make our own guide). There's also a couple of alternative guides linked at the last page of the wiki guide, too.

I assume you mean this guide?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

I believe this one is the current one.
(2012-09-17, 17:36)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-09-17, 09:01)CaptainKen Wrote: but the actual setup and userdata would be stored/shared centrally? This would allow for all PCs to always be in sync with settings changes and database updates.
This isn't advisable and can cause issues.
Use at own risk

Can you explain why?

I spent ten hours yesterday setting up and trying to get Frodo RC2 to read the mySQL database, and it just cannot connect to the database. I can connect using the same credentials from a mySQL client on the same machine as Frodo.

At this point I'm frustrated and wondering if I can't just mount a centrally located userdata folder to share between machines.
It will corrupt the database.
(2012-12-31, 19:04)Ned Scott Wrote: It will corrupt the database.

Because sqllite is not capable of keeping the database consistent due to multiple commits of more than one potential user being online might trigger?
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Hello all

i just solved (thank to the guys on the forum) centralising my music playlists. wow i am happy as a clam.

as part of my setup i have all my media on a freenas server (now including the playlists) and now my 2 htpcs and 3 laptops all are using the same information. all machines are using the same version of Kodi.

I am the only user of this solution and i will have all my window user on all machines call the same (me).

I would like to achieve that i have the same look, feel and information across all pcs

I do not understand how and what benefit would i achieve in using mysql or mariadb in such an environment. 

can some one provide guidance on this or tell me that this is a pipe dream

can i use pathsubstitution to move my kodi userdata to freenas in a kodi userdata folder. 

in this way when a pc dies or needs to be re built i only need to download and reinstall kodi on that machine. I would only need to map my network drives on the machines  and off to the races

Thank you in advance
Best regards to all
BikerDude
HTPC with 16gb ram M-Audio LT1010 sound card feeding McIntosh 7205 power amp Magneplanar 2.7r and Velodyne dd12. All connected to Sony smart tv.
All media on 2 fully redundant TrueNas VMs installed on Proxmox servers. Running Kodi. Everything works brilliantly until i screw it up
(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: I would like to achieve that i have the same look, feel and information across all pcs
Skins and their settings is a one-time thing in my experience. Normally you won't have weekly changes in them.
The external SQL database will only contain metadata of videos and/or music. All other (addon) data is stored locally per Kodi device.

(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: can i use pathsubstitution to move my kodi userdata to freenas in a kodi userdata folder. 
You can try, but certainly not every add-on is compatible with external storage.
There is no official support on this type of add-on handling as Kodi was never designed to do/support this.

(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: in this way when a pc dies or needs to be re built i only need to download and reinstall kodi on that machine. I would only need to map my network drives on the machines  and off to the races
Just keep a copy of all the necessary files somewhere safe, including the thumbnails cache folder. Or in case of LibreELEC, use the built-in backup/restore tool.
(2019-06-26, 08:57)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: I would like to achieve that i have the same look, feel and information across all pcs
Skins and their settings is a one-time thing in my experience. Normally you won't have weekly changes in them.
The external SQL database will only contain metadata of videos and/or music. All other (addon) data is stored locally per Kodi device.
(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: can i use pathsubstitution to move my kodi userdata to freenas in a kodi userdata folder. 
You can try, but certainly not every add-on is compatible with external storage.
There is no official support on this type of add-on handling as Kodi was never designed to do/support this.
(2019-06-26, 07:56)BikerDude Wrote: in this way when a pc dies or needs to be re built i only need to download and reinstall kodi on that machine. I would only need to map my network drives on the machines  and off to the races
Just keep a copy of all the necessary files somewhere safe, including the thumbnails cache folder. Or in case of LibreELEC, use the built-in backup/restore tool. 

many thanks for this guidance i am retired and have nothing to do but to push the envelop of my knowledge and my wishful thinking
Best regards to all
BikerDude
HTPC with 16gb ram M-Audio LT1010 sound card feeding McIntosh 7205 power amp Magneplanar 2.7r and Velodyne dd12. All connected to Sony smart tv.
All media on 2 fully redundant TrueNas VMs installed on Proxmox servers. Running Kodi. Everything works brilliantly until i screw it up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share same setup and userdata across multiple PC's0