Apple TV 1
Hey guys,
I'm new to all of this( I just set up XBMC on my computer at home and I love it) and now I want to have some sort of media player at my TV. I've done a lot of reading and I know I have a ton of options.

I was wondering if the Apple TV works well with XBMC. I can get one for about 30 bucks and I know its recommended to get the Broadband Crystal HD card.

Is it worth it for me to get the Apple TV 1?

Thanks for the help!
I doubt the Apple TV has any kind of horsepower for running XBMC at decent speeds. Heck, even the AppleTV 2 (which is faster), can only do XBMC at 720p.
Welcome to the XBMC forums, senrab.

Here is the XBMC on Apple TV 1 FAQ

You can check the Mac OSX support forum for threads discussing ATV1 questions, problems, solutions, etc. (which is where I'm moving this thread).
(2012-09-17, 20:35)artrafael Wrote: Welcome to the XBMC forums, senrab.

Here is the XBMC on Apple TV 1 FAQ

You can check the Mac OSX support forum for threads discussing ATV1 questions, problems, solutions, etc. (which is where I'm moving this thread).

Thanks for moving this. I had a feeling I posted this in the wrong spot.

So it sounds like for $40bucks this might be something to try. I had a look around and the Apple TV 2 is really expensive right now. Hopefully the ATV3 is able to be jailbroken in the future!

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions when I go to do the set up for the ATV1.

Thanks again!!
(2012-09-17, 19:49)dogzipp Wrote: I doubt the Apple TV has any kind of horsepower for running XBMC at decent speeds. Heck, even the AppleTV 2 (which is faster), can only do XBMC at 720p.

Bzzz, wrong.

ATV1 (wiki) + BCHD (wiki) + Crystalbuntu (wiki) = awesomeness

My main HTPC is this setup and I use it every day. It does full 1080 output and doesn't miss a beat. If one can find a used ATV1 in good condition, I totally recommend going that route.
(2012-09-17, 19:49)dogzipp Wrote: I doubt the Apple TV has any kind of horsepower for running XBMC at decent speeds. Heck, even the AppleTV 2 (which is faster), can only do XBMC at 720p.

The ATV1 is an excellent XBMC box, I've used one for a couple years. Better than my ION box, plays everything, responsive UI

(2012-09-18, 11:16)Ned Scott Wrote:

Bzzz, wrong.

ATV1 (wiki) + BCHD (wiki) + Crystalbuntu (wiki) = awesomeness

My main HTPC is this setup and I use it every day. It does full 1080 output and doesn't miss a beat. If one can find a used ATV1 in good condition, I totally recommend going that route.

Awesome! Glad to hear this!!

Where is a good place to get a BCHD card? I live in Canada. What is a good price for one of these?

Thanks again!
(2012-09-19, 04:19)aaronb Wrote:

The ATV1 is an excellent XBMC box, I've used one for a couple years. Better than my ION box, plays everything, responsive UI

Sweet! Good to know!

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015
(2012-09-20, 04:06)aaronb Wrote: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015

Thank you!!
There's a $10 off coupon code now you can use for logic supply: XBMC10

Good till the end of October.
Just wanted to say this thread is awesome I had no idea you could upgrade an appleTV!
You can thank Davilla for it. He even got Broadcom to open source the drivers for the BCHD: http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broad...its-magic/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 10