Best Blu-ray Ripping Drive
What is the best drive for ripping blu-ray? My current drive rips sl slowly. It's an internal laptop drive and I know there have to be fast SATA drives out there for my desktop. Is there one that's better than the others. I'll be using MakeMKV and/or DVDFabHD most likely.

Thanks
LG Electronics BT20N 6X SATA Slim 3D Blu-ray Internal Writer Drive
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-22, 07:10)bluray Wrote: LG Electronics BT20N 6X SATA Slim 3D Blu-ray Internal Writer Drive

I believe he was looking for a desktop drive... and 6X is ssslloooooww Smile

Here's a reasonably priced, quick-as-they-come drive. I've always had good performance from Lite-On drives.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-22, 07:19)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-22, 07:10)bluray Wrote: LG Electronics BT20N 6X SATA Slim 3D Blu-ray Internal Writer Drive

I believe he was looking for a desktop drive... and 6X is ssslloooooww Smile

Here's a reasonably priced, quick-as-they-come drive. I've always had good performance from Lite-On drives.
He mentioned a laptop. I thought that he might want to replace his very slow laptop BD-ROM too.

If he is looking for a ripper and burner driver for his desktop, this one might be the best in this price- LG BH14NS40.....

Say someone doesn't really need to write to BD, but only read for playback and ripping. Does it make sense to get a read-only drive, or is the difference in price/quality not that much?
There's not that much difference these days in price. But, IME, i haven't written a thing to any kind of optical media in quite a long time, so I'll be sticking with read-only for BD drives. If I need portable data, it goes on a thumb drive, or into the cloud.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-22, 10:17)jaochoo Wrote: Say someone doesn't really need to write to BD, but only read for playback and ripping. Does it make sense to get a read-only drive, or is the difference in price/quality not that much?
You'll never know when you need to write BD. The write version come in handy when you need it. For ripping and playback BD purposes, it doesn't make much different between the write and non-write version......

sorry for steelin the thread but what about some drives prevent you from ripping, something to do with coppy right software built into the drive
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-09-22, 19:29)lagledavid Wrote: sorry for steelin the thread but what about some drives prevent you from ripping, something to do with coppy right software built into the drive
I haven't had any problem with LG BD-ROM. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that some users had problem with Lite-On BD-ROM....

thanks Bluray
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
[/quote]

Not a bad one.I think it would be the best drive for ripping blu-ray.

Old thread, I know Wink, but I need an advice. I'm considering this external drive. http://www.lacie.com/dk/products/product.htm?id=10602
What do you think of it, is it too slow for ripping Blu-ray Discs ?
It has a read speed of x6 with single layer, not the fastest, but how long would it take ripping 40gb with this drive? -and are there other factors than the read speed, does the USB 3 connection have any impact? What about CPU and RAM, do they have any impact?
I find the Lacie drive very nice and handy, and it's bus powered too....
Kindly
Jan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Blu-ray Ripping Drive0