starting XBMC scripting
Totally loving XBMC, just need to do a few scripts to control my AVR and my setup is perfect.

However, I'm finding myself wasting too much time getting into the basics of scripting on XBMC on Windows.
It seems there's not a single tutorial out there which takes a full beginner to a hello-world stage...

basically, what I'm looking for is something like:
1) download package abc.zip from http://xyz.com
2) extract files to c:\\d\e\f
3) start XBMC
4) in menu a->b->c->d, scroll to item efg, and you should see some crazy effect

This would allow all people with some programming/python knowledge to start freestyling after this, and as such, in my opinion, would boost the number of XBMC scripters.
such pages, each for the different platforms, would make nice sticky pages to a forum like this.
(perhaps such page does exist; in that case I would be more than willing to offer my admiration in return for the URL)

===

more concretely, in my case, best doc I could find was
http://xbmc-gpodder-integration.googleco...%20-R7.pdf
which at best says "Restart XBMC and then select your addon from the Music section to run it". But, after trying out 100 combinations in the "Music section -> Music add ons", I have no clue where my new script should be listed?

help! I'm just a few TCP commands away from my ideal home setup. Don't make me crash here Smile
What we all do is take an existing script and see how that one is done.
There's no better way to learn than to see how some one else did it.

AKA: copy/paste
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
That's exactly what I tried, but then again I don't know where I can locate the script inside XBMC..

what I did concretely:
- copied contect of C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\script.recentlyadded to C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\script.recentlyadded2
- inside C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\script.recentlyadded2\addon.xml, made only the following 2 changes: (added 2x the 'aaa')

<addon id="script.aaarecentlyadded"
name="aaaRecently Added XBMC Script"

Now inside XBMC, I have no clue where I can find this new script?
you also need to rename the folder
Besides recently added is only used by skins so you cannot see this anyware.
it only fills labels that skins can use. I wouldn't recommend starting with that.
Start with one you can actually see under programs
hmmm.... I added the '2' at the end, shouldn't that be enough?

'script.recentlyadded' vs 'script.recentlyadded2'

---
any suggestion on which script I should duplicate instead?
"addon id" must be exactly like "foldername"
thx, didn't know that. but didn't make my script show up though.. probably because it's not the right type as you mentioned.
Could you point me to a 'duplicatable' script? seems pretty though to install a script which actually install itself under /scripts/script.something
Thx for your help thus far. I was able to copy/paste a Program addon and find it back within XBMC, just had to copy/paste in my AppData folder instead of ProgramFiles folder.

Again, this is something that must be included in a detailed step-by-step document. Otherwise, XBMC scripting will remain only for the few who speek geek, which is perhaps what you want, but it would be a shame as XBMC is an awesome tool, which will become even more awesome by making scripting more accessible.

I'll dig a bit further tomorrow, thx for the quick replies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
starting XBMC scripting0