emulator hardware! (post your experiences!)
Could you post the details of your HTPC build?
yeah sure

CPU: AMD A6-5400k ("lazy"/simple overclock...just hit the "boost" button in the bios settings, so i run at 4.3 stable without any extra cooling options)
mobo: asus f2a55m (csm specifically)
ram: kingston valueram 2x4gb (1333)
SDD: kingston ssdnow s50

those are the essentials anyway..no graphic cards or anything else worth noting..
It seems clock speed not number of cores is more important?
Considering a6 or a10 trinity. Ram speed makes a huge difference to framerate of igpu. But do I need the extra shaders? I probably dont for old emus
Dougie - From what I read around, clock speed is more important...but if you have more than one core as well...so i guess basically, dual core with most speed possible is probably the best ratio $/performance in emulators

tutu - agreed..and that's why i was worried about my cheapo ram...(i mean really, 8 gig for just under $40, hehe)...but everything works fine...like i mentioned, i even disabled fog and i don't notice any different in visual gameplay...maybe i'm not looking in the details but everything is mostly clean and crisp...
Does XBMC run on INTEL CE4100 Atom Processor?
if you're just talking about xbmc and not emulators...here are some threads that may be able to help you out (in short, yes it can..but it depends what system you have..):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109922

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76797
Such a good thread... subscribed...

Big Grin

another update...

I just got the pcsx2 emulator
i only tested one game.. twisted metal black
but it runs at 60 fps very comfortably with my configuration

i just use the default settings, using preset "balanced"
using the latest svn (5443 of v 1.1) and direct3d 11 hardware
and it runs smooth as butter...

so more good news with this processor
Do I need to run windows for emulators or can I use linux eg openelec
openelec is a bit of a bitch for emulators...there is a thread on their forums that has most of the emulators in one package, but there is very little support and if you can't work around modifying the drivers for some emulators (basically, beyond the snes, from what i've read)

xbmcbuntu is much more manageable...but i haven't tried it with dolphin wii and pcsx2

windows is the safest bet, but you're free to try out the others and post what you've encountered (good or bad)
I have yet to hear of anyone successfully (without months of developing their own code) running emulators on OpenELEC

If you're into Emulation, Windows is a sure thing.

Linux (full OS) might work, but I have no idea
(2012-10-30, 18:48)truthlesshero Wrote: another update...

I just got the pcsx2 emulator
i only tested one game.. twisted metal black
but it runs at 60 fps very comfortably with my configuration

i just use the default settings, using preset "balanced"
using the latest svn (5443 of v 1.1) and direct3d 11 hardware
and it runs smooth as butter...

so more good news with this processor

Damn you truthlesshero! I may have to actually move over to Windows Tongue

I have actually thought about buying a separate graphics card to see if it helps on my Ubuntu build, but it looks like just biting the bullet and installing windows is the way to go. I did have better luck compiling Dolphin myself than installing the .deb from their website, but even with a lot of dicking around I am only getting about 30 fps.
Your mileage will vary with new emulators.... My i7 @ 4.1ghz would play some games fine and struggle with others. After a lot of mucking about I got super Mario galaxy running at full speed most of the time but I could never get shadow of the colossus or gt4 running at a decent frame rate.

From what I've read it better to have a fast dual core than a slower four/six core cpu as the emulators dont make full use of multiple cores, although this has changed recently with pcsx2 (maybe dolphin too) although I don't know to which extent.

Windows is definitely the os to use for emulators - easier to set up and more emulators are available. (no nulldc in Linux!). I use Linux for watching movies and windows for gaming. On my Linux xbmc install I have a add on under programs called games which will reboot my htpc once into windows, and then next boot it will go back to Linux. Best of both worlds!
(2012-10-31, 04:50)teeedubb Wrote: Your mileage will vary with new emulators.... My i7 @ 4.1ghz would play some games fine and struggle with others. After a lot of mucking about I got super Mario galaxy running at full speed most of the time but I could never get shadow of the colossus or gt4 running at a decent frame rate.

From what I've read it better to have a fast dual core than a slower four/six core cpu as the emulators dont make full use of multiple cores, although this has changed recently with pcsx2 (maybe dolphin too) although I don't know to which extent.

Windows is definitely the os to use for emulators - easier to set up and more emulators are available. (no nulldc in Linux!). I use Linux for watching movies and windows for gaming. On my Linux xbmc install I have a add on under programs called games which will reboot my htpc once into windows, and then next boot it will go back to Linux. Best of both worlds!

Could you please post details of this add on/how to set it up?

This sounds awesome!!

I'd love to have OpenELEC as the default, but then boot into Windows via a Menu Item called Games...

Pretty please

(:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
emulator hardware! (post your experiences!)0