• 4(current)
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics
Doesn't look like it'll be in till Thursday. I'll post some impressions this weekend.
Threw this together inside an MI-008 with 4gigs of DDR3-1333 and a 32gb SSD... and Installed OpenElec...

I'm VERY impressed with this little board.

Using Metropolis as a skin it responds very quickly, no lag to be seen.

I haven't found anything it won't play via the onboard video.

Like Dougie Fresh said that little fan CAN get loud, but can also be dealt with.

Plays everything I've thrown at it.
Yeah, it's really a nice surprise, isn't it? I'll definitely be adding it to my barebones lineup. Thank for trying OpenELEC.

NM70-847 PACK, anyone? Wink
Now on to getting some 5.1 sound out of the HDMI.
How well would windows media center run on this with windows 8? I like to use wmc w/hdhomerun prime for watching tv/pvr and xbmc for movies.
(2012-11-10, 06:13)coldlsr77 Wrote: How well would windows media center run on this with windows 8? I like to use wmc w/hdhomerun prime for watching tv/pvr and xbmc for movies.

It ran fine under Windows 7. I tested live TV (cablecard), 1080p video and internet streaming. I did not test Windows 8. I also did not get a chance to try XBMC with it. I suspect any CPU-intensive skins are not going to give a great experience -- but it's still faster than an Atom or Zacate.

(2012-11-10, 06:17)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-10, 06:13)coldlsr77 Wrote: How well would windows media center run on this with windows 8? I like to use wmc w/hdhomerun prime for watching tv/pvr and xbmc for movies.
I also did not get a chance to try XBMC with it.
Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try...Tongue

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-10, 06:44)bluray Wrote:
Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try...Tongue

I prefer to start with what's installed already to see if it's even possible and then I'll move to applications from there.

I don't see how this reply adds anything positive to this thread. When you're buying the hardware and testing them, you can set the priorities. If that's a problem let me know and I'll be happy to post my findings in another community where I am not given a hard time for everything I do.

[/quote]

I prefer to start with what's installed already to see if it's even possible and then I'll move to applications from there.

I don't see how this reply adds anything positive to this thread. When you're buying the hardware and testing them, you can set the priorities. If that's a problem let me know and I'll be happy to post my findings in another community where I am not given a hard time for everything I do.

[/quote]

Your work here is very much appreciated Dougie! Keep doing what you are doing and thanks for taking the time to share your findings with us . One rep for you.
(2012-11-10, 19:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-10, 06:17)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I also did not get a chance to try XBMC with it.

It's a five minutes job to install and test XBMC. The priority for all users in this forum is to build or buy HTPC that can playback blu-ray file using XBMC media player.....

My reply is always at the core of XBMC followers....there is no problem with your posts my friend. Your posts are valuable. I thought that testing XBMC is the easiest and quickest thing to do in here....

It takes less than five minutes to buy the hardware too. Go for it if you think you'll do such a better job for the core of XBMC followers.
(2012-11-11, 05:00)Dougie Fresh Wrote: It takes less than five minutes to buy the hardware too. Go for it if you think you'll do such a better job for the core of XBMC followers.
Nobody mention anything about who is doing a better job than who in here. Questioning/requesting/asking/suggesting/recommending doesn't equate to who is better than who. If it is too much for you to try XBMC media player with the hardware you posted in OP, I'll not ask you to try XBMC on it again.....

Buying hardware or anything in that matter is not a problem for all of us. Lack of money is what stop us from buying it. When I'm ready to build another HTPC, I'll buy the hardware. One thing for sure, XBMC media player will be tested on it by me.....

Again, I am not sure what you're adding to this thread.

(2012-11-03, 00:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote: So far, so good. I can't speak for the longevity of it or how it works with XBMC or OpenELEC yet (those'll come next)

Since I am planning on it when I get time what the hell is your problem? Is it that I am not testing in the order you deem appropriate? Is it necessary to crap all over this thread for that?

I honestly thought bluray was joking with the comment and would probrably not take it seriously if it was me. Everyone else in this thread appreciate your budget htpc experiment. Don't let one voice corrupt your effort.

I was wondering how everything fits in the S197-H80 case. I'm looking for similar case. Don't need optcal drive. That case reminds me of one of those "black box" from an airplane cockpit. Do you know of any other case that maybe resemble a set-top box?

And the video that you tested earlier, was it played from your ssd drive or network stream? I will be using this board to stream all my media from an nfs server.
(2012-11-10, 06:44)bluray Wrote: I honestly thought bluray was joking with the comment and would probrably not take it seriously if it was me. Everyone else in this thread appreciate your budget htpc experiment. Don't let one voice corrupt your effort.

Thanks. He's in no way joking. We've been over this before. You'll notice just about every post I make has some one-line reply/complaint/dig.

(2012-11-10, 06:44)bluray Wrote: I was wondering how everything fits in the S197-H80 case. I'm looking for similar case. Don't need optcal drive. That case reminds me of one of those "black box" from an airplane cockpit. Do you know of any other case that maybe resemble a set-top box?

It fits very well. I've tried a couple of Atom boards, this board, the DH61AG and they all fit well. The GA-H61N-USB3 fit with a picoPSU 90, not 120 and the ASUS P8H61-I didn't fit because there was no way to get a picoPSU installed. That's all I've tested in the S197-H80. The Wesena ITX1 is basically the same case w/o the optical drive.

(2012-11-10, 06:44)bluray Wrote: And the video that you tested earlier, was it played from your ssd drive or network stream? I will be using this board to stream all my media from an nfs server.

The high bitrate clips were from the local drive and the MKVs were from the network. With Intel 2000 HD graphics, 1080p video is easy as long as it's GPU accelerated. Non-GPU accelerated HD video results in high CPU usage but unlike Atom/Zacate it actually plays with stutter.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics1