Req Unwanted interruptions (dialogs) during Video playback
I suppose this is where "everyone" would post the dialogs that still in frodo/master show up during Video playback.

Have encountered several, one has to do with adding music to library (very annoying), I dont have a screenshot for that atm, Confused

The other one is scrapping related or lack of connection related to scrapping. (many pop-ups have been banished so I presume this feedback would be welcome), though I cant fix the code myself.

Please make it go away, notify when playback is closed/terminated or something?

It would be nice if other users that have noticed and managed to capture screenshots of other annoying pop-ups would post.

Will keep updating as I find more.

uNi

low priority, file it under R for Purging

uNi
Really? No one sees these interruptions and find them annoying?

uNi
the only ones that i see are at startup "CEC device connected" and "connected to boblight server". Which i find annoying

The other one during playback is from "trakt.tv" script but that is out of the scope of XBMC core.
These popups should be killed (or optional) by the scripts.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
@Martijn

Startup in gui its acceptable (as xbmc starts up), but when in middle of watching something its a definitely annoying factor....

I agree that addons shouldn't interrupt playback either. Its so anti-climatic, specially in the middle of pron. jk Big Grin

uNi
I thought scanning paused/stopped during playback? Or maybe it's that it won't start during playback? I can't remember..
Apparently it continues in bg and if server stops respond, pow! Pr0n interrupted.

Also music progress too scanning to library while video playback, its like a machine gun interruption .

Disabling notifications has 0 effect up to 12.0-ALPHA7 Git:20121028-6d17467), Platform: Linux

Its just remnants of the clean-ups, music scanning into library is just as bad or worst.

uNi
Well i guess most people just don't scan while watching content.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz

Though about that for a while and makes no sense starting a scanning and having to wait 5 or 10 minutes or an hour until I can use xbmc so I get no interruptions.

This is a sensible request, nothing should interrupt playback like music and library updates

clearly its just me, because everyone else waits for an hour or two or leave the machines on all night or other options that I dont have.

It would be nice but its not a deal clencher, just spoils experience.

uNi
If that's the only one you're seeing, set ignorewarnings in advanced settings.xml

It just hides the symptoms, but at least you can watch pr0n in peace
(2012-11-08, 18:07)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: If that's the only one you're seeing, set ignorewarnings in advanced settings.xml

It just hides the symptoms, but at least you can watch pr0n in peace

There is no documented setting called "ignorewarnings" in advancedsettings.xml
(edit)
I think I found what you are talking about...
Code:
<videoscanner>
    <ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> <!-- Set to true to silently ignore errors while scanning videos. This prevents the error dialogue box, so you don't have to keep hitting "yes" to keep scanning.-->
  </videoscanner>
... but this does not solve the overall problem which is XBMC allows this to occur, at all. XBMC's code code should prevent all dialogs from appearing during video playback (other than playback related dialogs) - period.

<commentary>

It is sad that you don't see this design oversight - which it is. No video playback application should allow a non-critical "add-on" to interrupt the core function of the app... e.g. video playback.

I'd think the devs would want the main thing the app is used for to work flawlessly and not have the ability for any plugin/addon to do whatever it wanted.

A bit like a poor programming where unmanaged code can step all over memory spaces it should not.

I submitted a bug (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13772) but ronie closed the bug, seems like he does not care.

</commentary>
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Seriously?

It is amazing to me that no one else is picking up on an obvious design flaw reported.

I have almost the same problem as the original poster and wholehearted agree with his comments.

While it may be possible to suppress a specific dialog the real problem is that "stuff" is allowed to interfere/run during playback. No background task is important enough to make the movie I watch stutter or jam. This is a design that should be remedied.

How about disabling background threads during playback? Er perhaps just give the playback thread sufficient priority that it would take whatever resources needed for seamless playback.

My issue is that I have a low powered atom based playback unit that cannot handle library scanning during video playback. While the scans do not start during playback they do continue. When that happens I have to go through ally sources to all the places I've "set content" to find the one scanning and choose stop from the context menu.

While I am a software engineer my expertise in unix based systems goes no deeper than shell scripting so I cannot actively contribute any patch.

So how do we re-open this issue?
This is a great community with very good coders but sometimes the devs seems to blinders on.

create a TRAC account and open a ticket... then post the # here, I'll add my info to it also.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Seriously? Hey, here's a protip, devs are aware of these things, they are things they want to improve, but there's only so many hours of the day for them to work on XBMC things, and there are a lot of XBMC things to work on. They're also probably not going to comment on every single feature request (actually, very few devs do, but support members such as myself try to pass information between).

The various threading and pausing of GUI and playback is being looked at and mentioned in the forum here: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=183 and that's just a peak at some of the stuff they're working on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unwanted interruptions (dialogs) during Video playback0