Issues with ASRock A75M-ITX with USB & SM Bus Controller
I am hoping you guys can help me out. I purchased the ASRock A75M-ITX board that just about everyone seems to have picked. It’s up and running Windows 7, but I seem to be having issues with USB Drivers on the board and wanted some thoughts.

I believe I may have 2 totally different issues that could be related so I will try to list each one individually.

USB ISSUE:

Last night I moved my entire OS from a 3.5" older WD drive to a new Samsung Spinpoint 1TB. To do this I did the following:

1. Created a system image of my existing 3.5" WD OS drive on a external HDD
2. Created a Win 7 USB boot drive
3. Installed new 2.5" Samsung Spinpoint
4. Booted from Win 7 USB boot drive
5. Selected 'Repair your computer'
6. Selected the 'Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier'
7. Selected 'Use the latest available system image (recommended)
8. Clicked 'Next'
9. Pulled the USB Boot drive (otherwise I got an error about the restore)
10. Clicked 'Finish'
11. Booted into Windows 7 on the new 2.5" drive - everything is there as it should be and runs with no problems from my quick testing

I then took the old 3.5" HDD and reformatted it on my main computer to wipe the drive so I could put it back in its external HDD case and use it as an external USB 2.0 drive. My main computer picked it up, re-formatted it, then picked it up as a totalyl blank drive, no issues at all. I transfered a MASSIVE amount of files to it. I then plug that same external USB drive into the new computer and it wont register it at all. Not only will it not register that device, a external USB CD/DVD burner that was previously working with the old HDD wont register either. The only way I could get files off that external HDD onto my new computer was to physically plug it into the SATA headers on the motherboard, go into Disk Management where the computer saw the drive and make it "Active". Then it picked up the internal drive and mounted it, gave it a drive letter, and let me transfer files to it.

This is a problem as I dont want to have this issue with that external drive as its going to be used often to get new music files to this computer. I wont be able to use the network often because this computer is being taken to work and will have no access to any networks.

SM Bus Issue.

On the old HDD I was having issues at one point (not related) and went into "Device Manager" to see if there were any unknown devices. There were. In Device Manager there is a “Other Devices” section that lists a SM Bus Controller and underneath that 2 USB Composite listings. I have uninstalled it and then scanned for new hardware changes, I am searched the web for drivers for it, but I cant seem to get it to pick up drivers at all. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I plan on contact ASRock about this, but I know this board is used by a RIDICULOUS number of people so I hoped someone here would have a solution for me.

Any thoughts on if the issues are possibly related, or if they are independent, or solutions for either?
Have you tried reinstalling the USB drivers from ASRocks website?

I think you will need the all in one driver from here;

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A75M-ITX/?c...ad&os=Win7

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-10-31, 15:56)DavidT99 Wrote: Have you tried reinstalling the USB drivers from ASRocks website?

David

I can try that again, but I dont think those are the drivers I need. IIRC when I installed Windows 7 on my old 3.5" HDD that I installed all the drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard (as the cd burner was working at that point).

Also I am up to date on all Windows updates for the computer so it cant be that either
I had problems installing the drivers aswell. After I tried the all-in drivers problem cured. So just give it a try.
(2012-10-31, 17:36)EndersShadow Wrote:
(2012-10-31, 15:56)DavidT99 Wrote: Have you tried reinstalling the USB drivers from ASRocks website?

David

I can try that again, but I dont think those are the drivers I need. IIRC when I installed Windows 7 on my old 3.5" HDD that I installed all the drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard (as the cd burner was working at that point).

Also I am up to date on all Windows updates for the computer so it cant be that either

Those are the same drivers as you get with the motherboard just later versions. The link is to the 32bit drivers but there are also 64bit drivers on this link. http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A75M-ITX/?c...&os=Win764

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Thanks, I do have the 64 bit OS, but will download and try those tonight. Hopefully that will cure the USB issues I am having.
Well fella's that was it Blush. The USB 3.0 drivers needed to be installed. Now not showing any "other devices" and it picked up my USB HDD this time around. Still wont read that there is the ASRock driver CD in the CD/DVD drive, even though it will pickup the drive and rip CD's from it, but we have similar problems with the same burner at work, so I am not too worried about it.

Thanks for the help!
No problem, glad you got it sorted.

David
Yup, now all thats left to do is finish my 3.5" HDD bracket mod to my Wesena ITX-6 case to allow for a 2.5" Hdd to be suspended from it with notches taken out to allow installation of a modded Noctua NH-L9a. Remove the Silverstone NT07-AM2 I have installed now, sleeve the Pico PSU and SATA cords, cover the case with AcoustiPak noise dampening foam, a bit o wire cable management and bam I am done!

That and get the PCI slot cover, HDD bracket and motherboard backer piece powdercoated satin black like the rest of the parts Smile. Gonna look super sleek and sexy!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with ASRock A75M-ITX with USB & SM Bus Controller0