I need some testers guys...
Phew guys stop the shit now. What do you think the intention is? Its a new feature we need you to test if it makes benefits or if its introducing regressions. Stop making a religion out of it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
iOS 4 still better. you have iOS 4? stay with iOS 4.
* davilla prays to the new god of this thread.
* Martijn sacrifices some ATV2 devices to please the gods
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have updated the links in the first post with new testbuilds. Should fix the flicker when bring the movie into the background (thx for the report).

One more thing to make clear - only iOS5 users need to participate. Nothing new for ios4.x users in these builds...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Error 404 for the ATV2 build
thx - fixed the typo
(2012-11-06, 14:07)Memphiz Wrote: Sure this will not hit the frodo release as we have still issues building against ios 5.1 sdk (these builds don't work on ios < 4.3 thats an issue). So the test phase will be long enough i guess.

That's the feature:

http://allmybrain.com/2011/12/08/renderi...cache-api/

It basically allows us to hold the hw decoded frames in the GPU memory for rendering. Before we would need to memcpy from GPU mem to CPU mem and back which gives a couple of percent unneeded CPU pressure. This only works with hw decoded frames though (so only h.264) - because software decoded frames are already in the CPU mem when decoded.

Thanks Memphiz. I'll do some testing if I get time.

So, reading into it, this helps in a very specific situation.

So, for the people asking about iOS versions and which to run:
This new feature only releases CPU cycles when playing h.264 content.

iOS 5 and over will use slightly less CPU when playing h.264 content, but will use some more memory in doing so.

iOS < 5 uses less CPU across the board.

So, if you're on iOS < 5 (4.3 on the ATV2) you should stay there. You still have the advantage.

If you're on iOS 5 or higher and cannot downgrade, then this feature should help you.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Yes something like that. Though the slightly less cpu is something to find out in this test (cpu usage drops for me by 20-25% on 720p which gives a lot room for getting boblight working then).

Though i won't say that Ios < 5 uses less cpu across the board but before others are making a new discussion out of it i just stick with your statement Wink
Wink

I thought it was simple enough for a blanket statement Big Grin

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Nice.

I'm running multiple ATV2s on Version 5.0.1 (Build 9A406a).

IMHO, after a quick test, I'm seeing a reduction in CPU utilisation of approximately 10% to 11% on 1080p and 15 to 16% at 720p.

Let me know if you need more.
(2012-11-07, 10:31)virtuallysafe Wrote: Nice.

I'm running multiple ATV2s on Version 5.0.1 (Build 9A406a).

IMHO, after a quick test, I'm seeing a reduction in CPU utilisation of approximately 10% to 11% on 1080p and 15 to 16% at 720p.

Let me know if you need more.

Nice - thx for the feedback. I take it out of your statement - no crashing for you and no regression in playback performance...
No regression. Looks pretty stable to date. Will keep running it as my primary build and report any issues.
Installed last night, and played a ~20Gb bluray rip of LOTR:Fellowship .... it played great, and OSD showed CPU at about 49%. Slight issue, when I had the OSD up it would cause dropped frames... without the OSD it played very smooth. (Not sure if that is new to your build... I may roll back to a previous nightly and see if that issue persists there).

I only played the video for about 5-10 minutes... if there were to still be any Out of Memory errors, should they have come within that time-frame, or will they appear after a longer period of time (generally speaking)?

I also tried one of my 60fps Mythtv rips, hoping for an unintended miracle ... still no joy there.

Thanks Ned Scott and Cranial.. I believe your posts answer bananen's original question, and should prevent our 'religion' from spreading. Wink
The same for me. Movies which microstuttered before (1080p, 6.1 DTS) played all fine. I'll report back, if there are some problems.
ATV 5.02
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I need some testers guys...0