possible Crystal HD on standard PCI
I was looking at weird tech stuff and found this (spanish)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-...-e-16x-_JM

So in therory this offeres a PCI - e (up to 16x) slot from a PCI slot

Crystal HD needs only 1x as I recall
\
hmmmm so if we now connect this little gem to the aforementioned card, of course we take off the antennas
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Network...27bc614453

and boom!

We can now install a crystal HD in a PCI slot.

The question I have, is whether anyone has tried this??
Yes, it works. The one in your ebay link should do just fine. The motherboard won't know the difference.
Ned, I know that one will work. The big find was the first link the PCI to PCI-e adapter in the first link. I have seen it disccussed here (or on other forums) that a Crystal HD could not be used with a standard PCI slot. Given that this little kitten purrs (the first link) it looks like that is wrong.

A note to Ned... Please stop posting these non-applicable responses to my posts. I was commenting on the fisrt link primarily, the PCI to PCI-e , and your post clouds that find and only calls attention to the PCI-e to Mini PCI-e adapter thereby clouding the message in the original post. This is not unlike previous posts you have made on other threads where you once seemed to scold me for not mentioning linux versions (that did not apply to that thread directly and were already posted elsewhere) . You may be the Wiki Guy or even a moderator here but I ask you to refrain from making comments that cloud my posts, and seemingly trying to discredit others contributiuons in general. If you want community involvement in XBMC you need to read others contributions before writing them off or commenting without understanding fully. Perhaps a question would have been more appropriate if you did not understand what the first link was, but I can see that asking a question may harm the image you want to portray here.

Wow, talk about overreacting! Maybe you should lay off the caffeine or increase the meds for a while Huh From your original post, a case can be made that you were asking if either of those adapters were viable. Ned's helpful response was that the item listed on ebay should work. He did not try to confuse or provide misinformation about the first item because his reply made no claims or mention about that item.
no , I was in fact not asking anything but rater presenting the concept of the two TOGETHER to use a Crystal HD in a standard PCI slot. I had only asked if anyone had tried it. I already know the PCI-e to Mini PCI-e works .

I get frustrated with so many "experts" who do not even read nor understand the posts , when in fact it was clear. Sorry you feel I am over reacting . I dont think it takes a rocket surgeon to be able to recognize my point was using crystalHD on a standard PCI slot. In fact even after writing it so many times previously . If you or Ned got that you would understand the ebay device does NOT connect to a standard PCI slot rarther a PCI-e slot. His failure to mention the first item indicates clearly he was not paying attention because that was the foundation of the post STANDARD PCI, NOT PCI-E. His post is therfore superflous or even irreelevant.

I think here again you are confusing the issue and flaming me accusing me of excessive caffiene or meds when you yourself did not seem to understand the post was focusud on STANDARD PCI , not PCI E
Whoa guy! This is a forum of people trying to assist one another. No one is intentionally "clouding" anything, and certainly no one here calls themselves an expert. Your unnecessary long winded reaction to Ned's post is why you're being called out for being over reactive.
Wow, where did that come from? Not the first time you've exploded at me, it seems: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1234739

Sorry (honestly mean that) I didn't more carefully read your post, but your response here is unwarranted, and if you continue to act like this then I'll just ban you and be on my way.
I have one of the rare BCM90012 in a PCI form factor. While it served it's purpose when developing the linux/darwin lib/drivers, it is dog slow compared to the mini pci-e. Even 1X pci-e is so much faster than 32-bit PCI.
Thanks for something useful Davila. Performance was a part of my concern when the concept hit me.

Ned, you have not seen me explode, that is a grave exaggeration, admit it. I am sorry you feel offended because I speak the truth (and I mean that) . No harm was intended you ypur feeliongs or otherwise, honestly. That other thread gives you the same advice that moderators often give here. A taste of your own medicine so to speak. As for this thread I suggest again you read before answering next time and keep replies on topic. So now you flame me in 2 threads. See how you really are! Ban me if you wish however that would be only because I do not behave as you wish and you need to excersie your power and authority as you have done to others here. You need to buck up and accept your errors , and move on, not threaten me for calling them to your attention, nor for criticizing me for the manner I called you out on it.

And for those who do not understand yes the irrelevant replies DO cloud the original post by confusing PCI with PCI-E because not everyone undersantands the diffefrence. A noob may have a lot of confusion alrady and look to these posts and see that post as being made by a credible poster ,

As for long winded posts .... I dont nend to justify my actions to anyone and I certainly will not nor do I . I do however call a gray duck gray even if someone else want me to call it black or white, just as I have done with Ned here.

It is unreasonable that I should sit back and not even call attention to his grave error which could be so misleading when a person is just beginning, and has little knowledge.

Yeah, see, now you're being a dick. See you in a week.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
possible Crystal HD on standard PCI0