Music library weirdness
Hi, I'm a bit of a noob so bear with me lol I started messing with XBMC about a month ago & love it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of it.

Everything works fine except for the music library (using any skin). My current setup has everything stored on my main HTPC (call it #1), and another PC in another room connected to the router via ethernet (call it #2). When I try to play music from #2, I can see & play my music from the "files" menu, but nothing in library mode UNLESS I click "search" and actually SEARCH for something. I can type "a" into the search box & there's all my music. After that, I can navigate the music library with no problems until I restart XBMC, then I have to do it again. All the music is properly tagged (except for some that I don't want listed anyway) and has been scanned multiple times. I've tried to export the library to the XBMC folder & import it back. No help there. I've tried the library auto-updater & again, no help. Is this how it's supposed to work? From what I can tell, the music library should be like the movie & tv libraries. While this isn't a deal-breaker, I would like the music library to be usable, instead of having to go to "files". I can't post any logs at the moment, but will be able to in a few hours, if it'll help. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

When you say "restart XBMC", are you referring to launching the XBMC application from your Windows desktop or rebooting your XBMC system? If it's the latter, perhaps your XBMC system (PC #1) doesn't have access to PC #2 when it starts up? Do you have the "Update library on startup" option enabled? If so, try disabling it and see if that makes a difference: System/Startup > Music > Library.
Yeah, sorry. I was in a bit of a hurry earlier & forgot to put up some specs. I mean restarting XBMC itself, not either PC. I've tried restarting both PCs & the router, didn't help though. Both are Win7x64 PCs on ethernet. None of the files are stored on #2, the libraries are using smb. I have no problems with the movie & TV libraries, just the music one. When I scan the music files, it goes through them like it should. Progress bar & all that.
OK, I think I misread your initial post regarding what's PC #1 and PC #2. Regardless, on the PC where you're running XBMC, check the "Update library on startup" setting I'd mentioned above and disable it if it's currently enabled. See if that makes any difference.
Tried that but it didn't help. Oh, I also forgot: I have XBMC in portable mode (-p) on both PCs, if it makes any difference. I've tried exporting the library to various folders on the network and both PCs & tried importing from those. IDK if that would help, but I've tried lots of things lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music library weirdness0