Linux just cant get remote or xbmcbuntu to work
Hello,

I love using xbmc on my windows media pc but I have been trying to switch over to linux and am having some trouble.

I can always get xbmc to run on linux but I always have some trouble.

1. If I use the xbmcbuntu cd, and install everything works well except that the video driver install is not good. I have an ati 4200 but am unfamiliar with ubuntu so am having trouble removing the installed driver and installing the proprietary driver. With the default installed driver I cannot play MKV files(most of my library is mkv). Also, Im having trouble with sound when playing mkv files.

2. If I do a gentoo, opensuse or fedora install everything plays perfectly but I cannot get lirc to act nicely. My remote control`s OK button doesn’t work and if I click a direction one time sometimes I get many clicks instead of one(makes it unusable). I think its a problem with the kernel lirc conflicting with xbmc but Ive been trying to fix it with no progress. My remote is a standard MCE remote and works perfectly in windows 7 xbmc and xbmcbuntu(so I know it works in linux).

I want to use option 2 because I am familiar with gentoo and opensuse(rpm based) but I really need to get my remote working. Without the remote its pretty much unusable as a media center.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Now Im trying with Opensuse 12.1(tried with 11.4, 12.1, 12.2, gentoo)
Regarding you remote: My only suggestion, and what I did for my friend who experienced the exact same problem, is to install LIRC instead of using the kernel drivers. I'm running Fedora+LIRC+XBMC+MCE-remote without problems, except that the remote isn't as responsive as I'd wished.
Thank you for the advice.

Do you know what the lirc kernel driver is called.

I’ve been looking in my kernel config and cant seem to find it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
just cant get remote or xbmcbuntu to work0