NVIDIA G100 w/ 256mb Capable of Hardware Decoding 720p/1080p?
I'm converting an older Dell P4 SFF PC into an XBMC client. It's a P4 HT 3.2ghz w/ 2gb DDR2 Ram. I don't have it in-hand yet so I haven't tested, but I'm sure it won't decode 1080p content and may not even keep up on 720p content. It does have a half-height PCI-Express slot, so I plan on adding an external card to handle the video decoding and HDMI output. I haven't settled on Win7/Live/OpenElec yet, but I do plan on going NVIDIA

My files will served from another PC on the wired/powerline network. My files are 50% 480p H.264 MKV DVD rips, 40% 720p (mostly MKV H.264, a handful of AVC and VC1), and 10% or less 1080p.

Will an NVIDIA GeForce G100 w/ 256mb DDR2 do the job for video decoding and audio/video output over HDMI? According to this chart it is VDPAU Feature Set B capable, so it should do the job unless I come across some strange resolution width files. What I'm a bit worried about, however, is if 256mb DDR2 will be enough memory wise to prevent stuttering.

I can pick the G100 up new for $10 locally, hence the appeal, but it cannot be returned if it doesn't work. If it hands-down will not work, I'll just go with a 512mb 8400GS or G210 and call it a day... but if there's a decent chance the G100 will work well, I'd like to give it a try first since this is indeed a low-cost build for a screen that's not used that much anyway.

Thanks in advance!
It should work fine (same capabilities as an ION1 which I've been using for almost 3 years). But a GT 210 can be found for $15-20 on sale.
I had an Ion system (Revo 3600) a few years back and had good luck with it, but wasn't it possible to allocate 512mb of shared memory at the Bios level? Or was it 128mb and could be bumped to 256 in the bios?

Either way, thanks for the comparison... I'll probably give the G100 a shot.
I think you need to post the exact make/model of the G100, some don't have HDMI and the ones that do need an SPDIF cable attached to a motherboard header (I think).
The one I'm looking at is an Acer VG.PCGT1.AL2, pictured below. I have a feeling it's an OEM board that was used in the Inspire AX line of SFF PCs a few years back. It does have HDMI. There is a 12-pin (2 rows of 6, pin-only) header and a 2 or 3-pin (directional plug) header on the board. Sorry in advance for the blurry image.

I'm unsure if there is an internal SPDIF header on the mobo. The MOBO model number on the dell is TG420 I beleive... there are two versions, one with external SPDIF + IEE.1394 and one without.

For this particular application video-only HDMI will work since the PC (a Dell Dimension 4700c) also has an external Optical SPDIF output on the mobo which I can route to the AVR. Again, main goal is super-cheap... PC is a $30 pickup from Craigslist, the G100 is only $9, and I'm pretty sure I have a spare IR receiver floating around at home also.

Also, can anyone comment on G100 driver support in OpenElec 2.0 Generic?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA G100 w/ 256mb Capable of Hardware Decoding 720p/1080p?0