Why does my Intel HTPC not work as well as my AMD?
(2012-11-27, 17:49)HellDiverUK Wrote: As I said in other posts, I run all three of my iGPU machines using DXVA2. One is a 2nd Gen i5 (HD3000), one is a Sandy Bridge Pentium G620 (HD1000), one is a Sandy Bridge Celeron G540 (HD1000). All running Windows 7 Pro x64. All machines have 4GB or more RAM (the i5 has 8GB).

There is clearly an issue with using iGPU with DXVA2 in XBMC as reported by many but you are implying you have not faced this issue.
Not sure what to make of that.
I've seen the macroblocking issue in XBMC with Intel 2000 HD. Interesting is my test movies were all CGI animated as well. Other players did not show this issue (WMP). If I get a chance, I'll circle back and try something non-animated with DXVA on. I don't have that system assembled any longer but plan to get it back together to try OpenELEC with it. I can give Windows/XBMC one more go first.

With DXVA2 enabled in XBMC, it's stuttering and lag on my G530, i3 and i5......it works fine without it. With hardware acceleration enabled in TMT5 and other players, it works fine on all GPU's....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Obviously someone's using the wrong drivers for their iGPU. I'm taking a wild guess that it's not me?
(2012-11-28, 11:11)HellDiverUK Wrote: Obviously someone's using the wrong drivers for their iGPU. I'm taking a wild guess that it's not me?

What version of XBMC are you running?
What Intel iGPU driver are you running (on your G620)?

Thanks
So..... I thought I had it cracked...

Openelec using hardware acceleration VAAPI, 1080p looked good, both animated and "real" films, 720p ok, SD content ok.

Then I went to play Airplane, Yes Airplane from 1981 or something, straight DVD rip using MakeMKV and green blocks everywhere! :-(
Ill try using just software decoding tonight on a few films but if this doesn't prove successful ati video processing here I come.

The computer I'm using is a shuttle XH61V, it has a pci e x4 slot, which has the open end slot for x16 cards. I'm toying with the idea of getting a discrete ati GPU, would the smaller slot and thus smaller bandwidth effect its decoding ability? If this worked Id have to transport the whole lot into a new case.

I have slightly shot myself in the foot with this build as the powersupply is built into the motherboard itself so I can't thus just change the board and cpu, it means a new pico psu, new ram, a whole new machine basically.

matt have you had any more luck with openelec?
(2012-12-06, 16:03)nss/ Wrote: I have slightly shot myself in the foot with this build as the powersupply is built into the motherboard itself so I can't thus just change the board and cpu, it means a new pico psu, new ram, a whole new machine basically.
Have you try Frodo beta 2? I tried it yesterday with very good result on both Intel and AMD- Test drive Frodo Beta 2.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-06, 17:35)PobjoySpecial Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 16:03)nss/ Wrote: ...but if this doesn't prove successful ati video processing here I come.

Pick your poison. Undecided

You can't win!

I can live with either operating system to be honest. The boot time of windows these days is obviously slower than openelec but its still pretty quick.

Ill give Frodo beta 2 a run tonight and let you know how it goes.

Software decoding works fine for me with Win 7 except for stuff with ridiculously high bitrates like the 40Mbps Birds sample (none of my actual material goes that high). I'm using a Sandy Bridge Intel G860.
The CPU usage is obviously higher than using DXVA which is not ideal so I still plan to try OpenELEC and see if DXVA works there. Failing that I will try Frodo Beta like bluray suggests and see if the Intel DXVA bug has been fixed in that.

A quick update....

After much messing about and trying various things I think Airplane is just encoded funny and doesn't like the intel Gpu acceleration. No idea why, I'll try re ripping or re encoding to something else.

Whilst trying various settings, I set openelec just to use software decoding. Most films are great including 1080p, but on high bit rate films, Mkv blu ray rips, 35mb/s I'm maxing out the processor. The cores switch back and forth maxin out at 100% in places. It doesn't show frame drops, but is stuttering all over the place.

In my testing I also tried out a i3 3225, I'm re building my home office pc soon and was going to buy a similar spec processor so thought it would be worth a try whilst testing this. As expected in openelec hardware gpu acceleration works great, Airplane is still green..... And using software is fine as well. The extra processing power plus the extra threads make all the difference. 40%cpu usage.

I haven't tried this in windows yet, I'll get there one day! Part of me wants to keep the i3 in here, pop windows on, grab an Xbox 360 controller and use it for some light gaming and htpc duties, but I expect it will be used as much as my original wii sitting in the cupboard gathering dust gaming wise.....

Anyway, cheers for all the help, I'm glad I stuck with the shuttle as it a really nice bit of kit, i may even pop a few photos up and Matt hope you get yours sorted soon. Merry Christmas!

I had two films that were always playing up, both producing similar issues.

The films were Crash (2004) and One day (2011).

Crash is encoded h.264 and one day is vc-1

Both would stutter almost continuously, like they were running at about 14fps.
Both were ripped straight from original blu rays in makemkv and running at 1080p24fps.
Deinterlace set to auto on all videos.
BIt rate maxed out at I say around 38mbs. Average say mid 20`s to mid 30`s

All audio is over HDMI using the speakers in the TV. It`s set to down mix to stereo from whatever source. I'm not actually at home at the moment, at relatives for Christmas, but from memory its 5.1 downmixed. I'll confirm when back home.

Other than that openelec and Intel all seem pretty good. Boots in about 20 secs, I'm running it on an old 80gb 2.5" HDD, so this could be improved.

Hope this helps....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does my Intel HTPC not work as well as my AMD?0