HTPC for streaming from server
I'm look to get a XBMC system set up after reading some great things, however I don't really want to go the usual route because I already have all my media stored on a Windows Home Server. I'm looking for advice on the best option to use for XBMC. I was thinking that I could just install XBMC on the server, however it's quite a large system and I would prefer something small that wouldn't look out of place on a TV shelf, and the server doesn't have on-board HDMI output. I think the other option would be to use some sort of small, lightweight system next to the TV and just stream the content from the server to the XBMC client, but I'm not sure what impact this would have on performance or whether it would even work properly with XBMC. It would also need to support 1080p DTS playback for large mkv files. Can anyone advise me on the best route to take in this situation?

Would something like this be an option? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-PI-512Mb-ver-2-0-4GB-class-10-SD-Card-XBMC-with-plugins-installed-/271107867610
Using a central NAS/server for files with multiple XBMC boxes is very common. The only thing you would need to worry about is network connection speeds. Try to use wired ethernet when possible, etc.

I would not buy the Raspberry Pi from that ebay listing. They're overcharging. You can buy an R-Pi set it up yourself very easily. See Raspberry Pi FAQ (wiki).
i would stay away from raspberry pi. The GUI on xbmc would be very limited which i would say , atleast for me is the very reason im using xbmc otherwise i would have stayed with a western digital streamer. If it is a buget thing i would look into the pivos android from what im reading they have come a long ways and the GUI for xbmc is going to be alot more fluent.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-11-26, 05:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Using a central NAS/server for files with multiple XBMC boxes is very common. The only thing you would need to worry about is network connection speeds. Try to use wired ethernet when possible, etc.
Yeah I was planning on using a wired connection. So is it best to run XBMC on the server too, or is it possible to just run it on the client machines that access the server?

So if the Raspberry Pi isn't a good option for something like this, what is? I've read quite a bit about Apple TVs but they seem to have really low RAM and I've read they can't support full 1080? I was thinking of maybe an Acer Revo, or Asus Eee Box, replacing W7 with the minimal Ubuntu XBMC build from here; http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369
99% of folks here -- or close to it -- run XBMC on their HTPC (client machines)
(2012-11-25, 23:19)rofle Wrote: I think the other option would be to use some sort of small, lightweight system next to the TV and just stream the content from the server to the XBMC client, but I'm not sure what impact this would have on performance or whether it would even work properly with XBMC. It would also need to support 1080p DTS playback for large mkv files. Can anyone advise me on the best route to take in this situation?

I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. Plenty of people on this forum use this and love it. I have also set this device up for friends and family that did not want a "self-built" system.

My other recommendation, would be to install XBMC on an available PC or laptop and give it a try.
This will let you test drive XBMC, play those mkv files,..and get an overall feel for how it all works.
You might be surprised to find out that you already have a device that gives you everything you need to get started.

What ever you choose,..good luck and let us know how it works out.

(2012-11-26, 14:55)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. Plenty of people on this forum use this and love it. I have also set this device up for friends and family that did not want a "self-built" system.
Yeah I've seen quite a few mentions of the Acer Revo. I'm looking at this model. More RAM, slightly better graphics and cheaper for me in the UK than the model you linked.

Or this, which is quite a bit cheaper, seemingly because it has a smaller HDD and no Windows OS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC for streaming from server0