Win XBMX, WHS 2011 MYSQL Dilemma: seeking input
Situation:

- WHS 2011 with all media, currently feeding 4 Win7 machines (currently all with Frodo Beta 1)
- Am setting up the WHS 2011 to sync all four units (been reading the MSL threads).
- Have set up MYSQL on WHS, and it is "functional" (i.e. can see the databases in command line). followed the HOW-TO and used MYSQL Installer for WHS 2011. So regarding that, I am fine to this point.
- From everything I have seen, it APPEARS that would be required to install XBMC on the WHS. Problems I have related to that is that I am running a microserver which cannot enable direct3d or directdraw, and has no sound card.

The install of XBMC, of course, fails, and the log is show here http://pastebin.com/MeQTVCd9

So, what I would like to do is either one of the following:

- Figure out how to get XBMC to "open", purely for the purpose of being a repository for the userdata db files and feeding to the other four machines And remember, this is headless, so this is all through RDP. Or, can I get the XBMC to "run" using the web interface, even with the RDP, no sound card, and the inability to actually "run" the program as-is?
- Just direct the four machines to stand-alone db files on the server (with no XBMC installed). This seems that it SHOULD be possible, because all it is really looking for is data files, not a program, correct? If I do this option, I would just create the databases I already have on my desktop, deposit on the server, and set the four machines to go there.

If I were able to just host the database files standalone on the server, I would want to somehow set up the XBMC on my desktop to have it's own standalone database (the one which I would update and use to put into the server as media changes, then also access the server db files. That way, I can transfer my local files, and also make sure the transfers are set up correctly. Possible?

Any additional info you folks need?

Thanks in advance,

Shane
Why would you need to install XBMC on the WHS? All you need to have on the server is MySQL for hosting the library for Frodo. You don't want any of the userdata db files from the workstations, each client has their own standalone XBMC client. All you need to do is the advancedsettings.xml to tell XBMC to use the MySQL server on your WHS instead of the local sqllite db.

I have this setup on my WHS and clients. All the server is doing as far as XBMC is concerned is storing all the media files and the MySQL db.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMX, WHS 2011 MYSQL Dilemma: seeking input0