XBMCwith MySQL Backend Problem with Forward Slashes
I am using XBMC Eden with MySQL backend on a Windows 8 media server. I am finding that music by artists whose name contains a forward slash "/", such as "AC/DC", are not being added to the database. This thread here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123895

Mentions that the handling of forward slashes is a known limitation of MySQL. The thread references updates for Eden to handle forward slashes for videos, but nothing about fixing it for music. Any idea if this will be corrected in Frodo? Currently, the only way I can play my AC/DC music files in XBMC is to exit library mode and navigate to the appropriate folder manually and select the songs to play.

Thanks for your help.
There should be no problem inserting AC/DC et. al. into the artist table. The only issue would be when it goes to be inserted more than once, where the LIKE clause will return that it's not in the database, so it'll attempt to add it again.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Well, I got it fixed by re-scanning my library. The odd thing is that the only two artists with forward slashes in them had issues - AC/DC was not in the library at all - "John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John" duets from Grease Soundtrack were under "John Travolta" and not "John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John". Further digging showed that all artists that start with a number, such as "2 Unlimited" and "98 Mute" were missing along with nearly all artists that have all upper case letters, like "ABC" and "ABBA". These files have been in the library the whole time, but were somehow missed when the library was first scanned into the MySQL. Re-scanning the entire library fixed it
Artists "John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John" will show under both John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in the library. When you play a song it'll be listed as both artists.

Glad a re-scan got it all remedied.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCwith MySQL Backend Problem with Forward Slashes0