First HTPC build with ivy
So i've been a lurker at XBMC forum for some time now and ive finally decided to make my own HTPC, i was initially planning on getting a prebuilt d525 atom with some random low end ATI card, however i read that it won't handle Netflix HD. So considering that im about to get a 25 % discount on components ive decided that i might aswell get a more powerful one, please comment if there's anything weird with this build.

Core i3-3240 3.4 ghz TDP 55 watt
Asus P8H77-I
Streacom F7C EVO
FSP PicoPSU 90 watt
Crucial v4 64 gb SSD (cheapest i could find)
Corsair XMS DDR3 4 gb 1 stick (cheapest i could find)

Total around 400 dollar after my discount.

The 90 watt might be too small however anything higher than 90 watt will cost 3-4 times the cost, so it'd rather underclock the i3 if that's the case.

My initial plan was to buy a Arctic MC001 that have a Atom D525+ ATI 5430 however with this build my cost will only rise 100 dollar more.

Oh yeah im buying everything in sweden
The only think I would look at is what the difference in cost is for getting the i3-3225. It has a better integrated GPU. It's not critical but worth looking at.
True would have picked it but sadly the store doesn't sell it. They had a i3-2120T tho for 20 dollar cheaper however i felt 20 dollar wasn't that much for a generation skip and a more effective cpu & gpu. Do you guys think the 90 watt pico can handle it all? so far with the 55 watt i can only count the ssd which i believe drain around ~5 watt.
(2012-12-05, 21:37)Seta Wrote: True would have picked it but sadly the store doesn't sell it. They had a i3-2120T tho for 20 dollar cheaper however i felt 20 dollar wasn't that much for a generation skip and a more effective cpu & gpu. Do you guys think the 90 watt pico can handle it all? so far with the 55 watt i can only count the ssd which i believe drain around ~5 watt.
You'll enjoy your powerful i3-3240 HTPC, and it should handles all playback with ease.....for PSU, I'm recommending this "picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC"....it'll give you some room for future upgrades too...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The pico-90 can handle Celeron/Pentium/i3. You'll see ~40W usage watching movies, ~80W running Prime95. The pico-90 also comes with the CPU (P4) power adapter. If you get the pico-120 you'll need a molex-to-P4 adapter. The pico-90/90W AC adapter is a nice combination.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC build with ivy0