Req XBMC Network
Note: Expect frequent updates to this thread as time progresses.

Suppose we had accounts that were linked over the internet on a network? Then we'd be able to possibly have things such as cloud storage backing-up our media.

I had the idea that XBMC could set up a P2P network. The idea would be that rather than storing extra copies of a movie in a database for the user, XBMC would simply just verify that the user owned the movie and then use the P2P network to get them back by getting it from others that have the same movie if the user's data was lost. It would back up his information easily.
Legal minefield.
(2012-12-10, 01:12)lloydsmart Wrote: Legal minefield.

Yeah, but I was hoping to figure away around it. And even if we decide to take away the backing-up there's other good things that we can do with an XBMC network.
(2012-12-10, 00:45)King Dude Wrote: XBMC would simply just verify that the user owned the movie and then use the P2P network to get them back by getting it from others that have the same movie if the user's data was lost.

How would you propose XBMC would be able to verify the user owned the movie, because a movie is listed in their library? I can create any dummy filename and scan it into my library. That doesn't mean I own the movie.
(2012-12-10, 03:40)Zernable Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 00:45)King Dude Wrote: XBMC would simply just verify that the user owned the movie and then use the P2P network to get them back by getting it from others that have the same movie if the user's data was lost.

How would you propose XBMC would be able to verify the user owned the movie, because a movie is listed in their library? I can create any dummy filename and scan it into my library. That doesn't mean I own the movie.

agreed, I can create a .txt file and change the extension to .mkv of .avi. How would it know a real file, and verify the ownership?
Sounds like a strange implementation of UltraViolet by the DECE would be the only way and it's the closest thing that exists that is semi similar...
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Network0