Streacom F7C A6 build
(2012-12-11, 23:46)bluray Wrote: You have to ask AMD why, and it's clearly stated in their website that you need an A8 or A10 for 3d. It surprises a lot of users in other forums too, because they bought the A6-5400K for 3d. They found out that it cannot do 3d.....

I have Avatar 3D (actual blu-ray disc) in my A6 5400K HTPC now, my TV is displaying 3D and TMT says 'Hardware Acceleration: 2.0' in the information screen. CPU usage is 35% which suggests hardware acceleration.

Now did anyone actually try the A6 with 3D? There is 3D settings under Gaming (not sure where else?). It mentions a 2D driver under information, but not 3D Driver (not sure if it should)

If I disable hardware acceleration, CPU usage jumps to 100%

Also, AMD say the A6 5400K features UVD3.2. UVD3 added MVC support!!

I tried PowerDVD 12 Trial - also plays 3D about 35% but lags to 90% when switching between full screen and windowed, then goes back to 35%. Doesn't seem as smooth.
(2012-12-12, 12:46)randolf105 Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 23:59)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 23:28)randolf105 Wrote: Is there a reason you are returning the A10 5700? I had through about this chip to create a htpc / light gaming machine in one but would it be too much for the 150w psu and would cooling e a problem in the F7C case?
It's a quad-core with a powerful iGPU. It tends to generate a lot of heat and consume a lot of power. For blu-ray file playback, 150w should be enough. When you add transcoding/3d/game/blu-ray drive into the mix, 150w will not be enough.....

Would an A8 5500 or an A8 3800 be a better compromise?

Thanks for your help!
For sure, you'll have a more powerful HTPC than the A6....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-12, 21:24)tutu Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 23:46)bluray Wrote: You have to ask AMD why, and it's clearly stated in their website that you need an A8 or A10 for 3d. It surprises a lot of users in other forums too, because they bought the A6-5400K for 3d. They found out that it cannot do 3d.....

I have Avatar 3D (actual blu-ray disc) in my A6 5400K HTPC now, my TV is displaying 3D and TMT says 'Hardware Acceleration: 2.0' in the information screen. CPU usage is 35% which suggests hardware acceleration.

Now did anyone actually try the A6 with 3D? There is 3D settings under Gaming (not sure where else?). It mentions a 2D driver under information, but not 3D Driver (not sure if it should)

If I disable hardware acceleration, CPU usage jumps to 100%

Also, AMD say the A6 5400K features UVD3.2. UVD3 added MVC support!!

I tried PowerDVD 12 Trial - also plays 3D about 35% but lags to 90% when switching between full screen and windowed, then goes back to 35%. Doesn't seem as smooth.
Did you had your 3d glasses on? Does the 3d video look okay?

From what you stated above, it seems to work. It's confusing, because AMD website shown as below to playback 3d on 2nd Gen APU and I read in another forum stated that it doesn't support MVC decode (which 3d need it)-

2nd Gen AMD A8 Processors include all of the above features, plus:
*Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray 3D capability – Provides the ability to watch that latest Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D movies on your desktop
*AMD Eyefinity Technology7 capability – Enables multidisplay technology for an immersive gaming, entertainment and productivity experience with up to 4 monitors
*AMD HD3D Technology8 – Enables an outstanding 3D experience for movies, photos and gaming content

If it work, it is great news...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-12, 15:29)fireman254 Wrote: Hi there,

I have been considering a similar build. But I am worried about the specs I read. The F7C Evo says: "Max CPU Cooler Height: 42mm without 3.5″ installed (32mm with 3.5″ installed)"

Then the Scythe Shuriken Rev.B is 64mm. I assume the specs for the Fc7 Evo are for the total hight including the fan. So it appears this cooler will not fit. I hope I am missing something because otherwise I keep coming against this problem when I find a case I like. Then, if you go Fc8 Evo you have the heatpipe problems. This is becoming really frustrating.

I'm also considering a similar build but intended to use the FC8 EVO case as I wrote in another thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148113

If I instead go for the F7C case, does anyone know of it would be possible to use Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B if you remove the hdd/odd tray ? The Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B is 58mm high.
Of course you would have to place the ssd somewhere else in the case and most likely skip the odd.
(2012-12-13, 13:27)thynne Wrote: If I instead go for the F7C case, does anyone know of it would be possible to use Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B if you remove the hdd/odd tray ? The Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B is 58mm high.
Of course you would have to place the ssd somewhere else in the case and most likely skip the odd.

I think it would fit, but then you have a redundant ODD slot in the front of your HTPC chassis, and then you may as well get a case without a CD drive slot/space at all?
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
I have basically the same case but with slightly different internal design. It's 100mm tall. If you remove the ODD tray a Big Shuriken will fit. Lucky for me, the one I have also has a mount inside on the side for an SSD so it's not a big deal.

Here's what the FC7 looks like inside.
(2012-12-13, 19:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I have basically the same case but with slightly different internal design. It's 100mm tall. If you remove the ODD tray a Big Shuriken will fit. Lucky for me, the one I have also has a mount inside on the side for an SSD so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the info that the Big Shuriken will fit, but after looking around a bit more I found the MS-TECH MC80 case and decided to go for that case instead. Main reasons being it's a cheaper solution than using Streacom F7C or FC8 cases, since IR receiver, remote and 60w external adapter (not sure about the specs for the internal DC-DC adapter) are included.

I will try the MS-TECH MC80 case, which I understand is the same case as the Iwill HT80 , with an Intel i3-3225 using the stock cooler.
If the included psu (only 60w) is not enough I'll get a picoPSU (80/90w) and maybe I'll replace the stock cooler with a better aftermarket cooler.

Sorry for the Off-topic.
(2012-12-17, 17:11)thynne Wrote:
(2012-12-13, 19:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I have basically the same case but with slightly different internal design. It's 100mm tall. If you remove the ODD tray a Big Shuriken will fit. Lucky for me, the one I have also has a mount inside on the side for an SSD so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the info that the Big Shuriken will fit, but after looking around a bit more I found the MS-TECH MC80 case and decided to go for that case instead. Main reasons being it's a cheaper solution than using Streacom F7C or FC8 cases, since IR receiver, remote and 60w external adapter (not sure about the specs for the internal DC-DC adapter) are included.

I will try the MS-TECH MC80 case, which I understand is the same case as the Iwill HT80 , with an Intel i3-3225 using the stock cooler.
If the included psu (only 60w) is not enough I'll get a picoPSU (80/90w) and maybe I'll replace the stock cooler with a better aftermarket cooler.

Sorry for the Off-topic.

The internal DC powerboard is probably 120W DC-DC so you might be able to just replace the AC adapter with a higher wattage one. I don't think 60W will be enough -- your system will use around 80W when both cores are at 100%. I would ask MC-TECH about it.

Hello,

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread but I thought there might be quite a few people interested in this. Last summer I put together a rig very similar to the one mentioned.
Streacom F7C Evo case (Black brushed aluminium)
MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 motherboard (inbuilt WiFi and bluetooth. HDMI output)
AMD A6 5400K Black Edition
4GB Corsair 1600MHz ddr3 RAM
TBS6280 DVB-T2 TV tuner (excellent linux supported dual channel tuner supporting all the HD freeview channels.

It works really well with all the content I played on it. Problem is that I realised I just don't use it enough and now I am moving into a larger shared house I will probably use it less. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it. Fully setup apart from a hard drive which I want to keep. It comes with the:

Gelid Slim Silence A-PLUS Low Profile CPU Cooler for AMD
& picoPSU 160W picoPSU and AC/DC adapter block
& Streacom SC30 usb 3.0 internal adaptor (to attach case ports to the motherboard).

It is in near new condition: £320 (current market price for all the above £440)
All boxes and documents included.
I'll email you pictures etc if you are interested.

Rob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streacom F7C A6 build 0