NFS Shares Visible On Desktop, XBMC Cannot Mount
I'm trying to mount some NFS shares, shared from my FreeNAS box, under Mountain Lion 10.8.2, directly at startup using pathsubstitution, using the latest Frodo beta. I'm not sure if I set something up wrong in advancedsettings.xml or on the freenas box or what.

advancedsettings snippet:

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>nfs://192.168.1.199:/mnt/tvdata/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>

Accessing 192.168.1.199:/mnt/tvdata/xbmc/Thumbnails works perfect from "Connect to Server" dialog on the Finder via the OSX desktop.

However, in my xbmc.log, here's what happens:

DEBUG: NFS: Context for 192.168.1.199/mnt/tvdata/xbmc not open - get a new context.

Log is here: http://pastebin.com/r0jHbr8t

Anyone tackled this one before? Hoping it's an easy setting, missed switch or something, but I know that Mountain Lion seems to have introduced so many new networking issues with SMB and NFS so I'm hoping there's a fix.
Before we get too far on this, do you know that you no longer need to use path substitution for Frodo? See HOW-TO:Sync multiple libraries/Upgrading XBMC to v12 (wiki)
Hi Ned, nice to hear from you.

I actually wasn't aware of that but that is WAY cool. Thank you so much. I'm actually fresh installing beta 3 from scratch with a new library as I'm building a FreeNAS box, so I'm not going to be able to try that just yet, but now that I know that, I'll keep thumbnails out of the mix. I noticed some other NAS users who were using pathsubstitution for other files such as favourites.xml, I assume that can still be done?

I think my issue may be more related to OSX itself not properly mounting my NFS shares from FreeNAS, and XBMC just can't get in the way I'm doing it. Not sure how schooled you are at NFS, but here's the details.

I'm trying now to share a single folder, to start, with read/write access, via NFS, to two OSX machines. I'd like this share to mount automatically/silently at boot and have full read/write access.

My two OSX machines: One runs at 10.7.5 and still has the "NFS Mounts" option in disk utility. The other machine is 10.8.2 and does not. Both are behaving similarly but for the purposes of this info here I'll be talking about the 10.7.5 machine.

My folder is called "XBMCData", and stored on the FreeNAS server at the mount point: /mnt/data/XBMCData.

On the OSX Box:

In order to mount this using finder and the "Connect To Server" option, I have to put the following into the Server Address box:

nfs://192.168.1.199:/mnt/data/XBMCData

When I do this, I get a Mounted Drive on my desktop and accessible through terminal at /Volumes/XBMCData. Seems ok so far. I can enter this folder and write data to it. But I had to manually do that via finder.

So now, onto the NFS Mounts section of Disk Utility. There, strangely enough, using 192.168.1.199 and /mnt/data/XBMCData does not work. Here, NFS mounts won't accept my mount unless I put THIS in the "Remote NFS URL" Field: nfs://192.168.1.199/XBMCData.

When I do, it's accepted, however, then when I go into terminal, I cannot even access /Volumes/XBMCData. I get "Permission Denied". Of note, if I left the original finder XBMCData mount, it remains, and the one from NFS Mounts is mounted as /Volumes/XBMCData-1 (still permission denied).

So, what am I missing here in NFS Mounts that is mounting this with no rw permission? I of course don't have "Mount as Read Only" checked. Also, no parameters in "Advanced Mount Parameters".

On the FreeNAS Server:

For the NFS share:

Comment:Shared Data
Authorized Networks: 192.168.1.0/24
All Directories: Checked
Mapall User: nobody
Mapall Group: nobody
path: /mnt/data

/mnt/data and everything inside is set to nobody as owner for user and group. Permissions are 2775.

Any thoughts welcome, though I realize this is leaving the realm of XBMC, but if for some reason you or anyone setting up NFS sharing to XBMC on OSX has run into this before, I'd love some help.
Oh hey, one more thing, Ned - This is a simpler question about the new Thumbnail method in Frodo.

Will I not then be able to have my master Thumbnail files on a server that does not have an XBMC install? In other words the thumbnail files will now physically reside on each box with an XBMC install. Not sure how big that file gets but will that potentially pose any problems for ATV2's? How much space those little buggers got leftover for thumbs?
Not sure on the NFS specific questions, but for thumbs you can keep using pathsubs on devices that don't have a lot of memory. The same pathsub settings will work in Frodo.
<to>nfs://192.168.1.199:/mnt/tvdata/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
should be

<to>/Volumes/XBMCData/Thumbnails</to>

If i got you right.

Not sure whats your problem. Its completly outside of XBMCs scope as you already noticed.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS Shares Visible On Desktop, XBMC Cannot Mount0