• 7(current)
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation
Heart 
I run the following xbmc devices in my home. 2 ATVs Frodo RC3. 2 iPads also with XBMC and Frodo RC3. Sorry for the messy shoots, havent cleaned up after the baby. I am planning to upgrade living room with imac mini and a 55 inch led tv. Have to try to convince the wife first. Any good arguments?

Philips 40 inch lcd ambilight in livingroom hooked up to one of the atvs. Seen a couple create own ambilight, but are your ambilight changing colour as the screen changes? Its really nice to watch movies and turn of the lights around. Philips soundbar (sucks bigtime).

Samsung 24 inch led tv connected with atv. Wife didnt't allowed bigger tv in bedroom! Sad

And finally my favourite, 

iPad 3 in another bedroom with loft bed. Listening with the earpods, best ever! You can lay on the side and tilt the screen!
(2013-01-06, 10:42)teeedubb Wrote: The ws2801 LED's I used. For my 60' tv I used about 4.5m
Teensy V2 microcontroller Make sure you get the V2, its compatible/recommended with adalight's software which is compatible with xbmc.
Im powering the led's from my pc's psu using a molex adapter for a fan that I had + a 4way splitter + a few female connectors + male connectors + these connectors. I wanted each strip separate to make mounting easier, which I did with scotch double sided tape. I used some hard drawn cat5 cable I had left over to wire everything up.
I mainly used this guide - make sure you read the advanced topics if youre powering a lot of leds. I didnt use the 'processing' part of the guide (although you still need that program) as this is handled by the xbmc boblight addon + boblightd and boblight-x11. This is the processing code to calculate the boblight prefix. I made this script to start/stop boblight with my remote via irexec. There was a calculator at this site to work out the boblight.conf file but the site has been down for a couple of weeks now.

One thing I would have done differently is the soldering of the connectors onto the end of the led strips - I have them sticking out inline with the strip and I had to fold them back over and tpe them to the tv so you couldnt see the wiring from infront of the tv - no big deal really, but if I were to do it again I would solder them differently.

Anyhoo, I think thats about it... Good luck and make sure you post some pics!

Wow thank you so much
(2013-01-06, 09:36)fvtalon Wrote: I just installed my new HTPC in my living room.

It's a Silverstone GD05B populated with:

AMD A6-5400K CPU
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Mobo
Kingston 8GB 1866Mhz HyperX Blu RAM
Seasonic S12II 430W PSU
Crucial M4 64GB SSD

There's a 3TB external hooked to it for now and the rest is a network share off my desktop. Next project is an unraid server I think...

Audio is from the Onkyo TX-NR609 in a 7.1 front high layout with Monoprice in-wall speakers and a 12" Bic F12 sub. Video is a Samsung 51" plasma. Control is via a Harmony 650, and android/iOS xbmc apps.

Here's a before pic: (I always forget the before pics, hence the saw stuck in the wall)

And an overall after pic (pre-htpc) when I was using my ATV2 for XBMC:

Beautiful cabinetry and a very creative solution for dealing with a television over a fireplace. I've seen this done lots of different ways, but this is definitely one of the cleanest and most creative solutions I've come across. Congratulations on the finished product!

(2013-01-06, 10:14)natethomas Wrote: wbread, I hope you don't mind. I did some photoshopping to merge the more well lit room with the image on the screen.

No worries, Nate. Took me a bit to figure out how you were going to use them...

(2013-01-05, 10:22)teeedubb Wrote: The server is running mythuntu 12.04 which is based on ubuntu 12.04 and the majority of my sharing is done with Samba (windows file sharing) and for devices which dont use samba (ps3, phones, tablets) I use UPNP. Currently using serviio but Im going to try xbmc for serving in the near future. I had a look at freenas/unraid a while ago but installing extra software looked like it would be a PITA and its a huge waste to have a computer only there for serving up media.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I built a PC to tun as a FreeNAS server. The cool thing about it is, it doesn't have to be very fancy to work very well.
Exactly - most important item is probably a gigabit nic. You can easily build one from spare/thrown out parts - my first file server was a pc I found on council throw out that was onwed by some one who had a lot of pictures of camel toes on his hdd hehe. The one I have now is overkill but its automatically suspends when not busy and is setup to use as little power as possible., but in saying that the extra power does come in handy sometimes.

What upnp server are you using? Serviio works well but needs java and doesnt tie in with my auto-suspend script, so Im on the look out for something else.
Hi,

setup infos in my sysprofile at signature (WIN7, Frodo RC3, Aoen Nox, DVBViewer PVR)!

greetings
(2013-01-06, 21:12)Gr8rtek Wrote: Beautiful cabinetry and a very creative solution for dealing with a television over a fireplace. I've seen this done lots of different ways, but this is definitely one of the cleanest and most creative solutions I've come across. Congratulations on the finished product!

Thanks!

It's got another little trick too, the side columns are DVD/Bluray storage. Room for around 200.

There's conduit and a bunch of HDMI and stuff running to the lower left cabinet so all the disc drives, game console etc are easy to reach. As far as being above the fireplace it's not the ideal position for a TV but in this room it was basically the only option, there's a staircase on the right and windows down the left and the rear is open to the kitchen. The wall mount tilts the TV downward some and laying on the couch it's really quite comfortable. Plus it's easy to see from the kitchen area. Integrating the center channel into the mantel allowed me to get the TV as low as possible above the fireplace.
(2013-01-07, 07:53)teeedubb Wrote: Exactly - most important item is probably a gigabit nic. You can easily build one from spare/thrown out parts - my first file server was a pc I found on council throw out that was onwed by some one who had a lot of pictures of camel toes on his hdd hehe. The one I have now is overkill but its automatically suspends when not busy and is setup to use as little power as possible., but in saying that the extra power does come in handy sometimes.

What upnp server are you using? Serviio works well but needs java and doesnt tie in with my auto-suspend script, so Im on the look out for something else.

Agree 100% on the gigabit NIC. Other than that, its a very mediocre motherboard, with a mediocre AMD chip and 3GBs of mediocre ram, in a very, recently upgraded mediocre case (needed more room for drives).

What it does NOT have, is power management, other than drive management built into freenas that spins em down after a period of idle time.

Freenas does have UPnP capabilities, but so far I'm just using SMB.

I currently work at a museum with XBMC implemented all over the place. I can control multiple screens through the museum (we have a Crestron system installed as well) from my office. Here's 1 of the cool setups I have:

(2013-01-08, 23:49)troy.myler Wrote: I currently work at a museum with XBMC implemented all over the place. I can control multiple screens through the museum (we have a Crestron system installed as well) from my office. Here's 1 of the cool setups I have:

Man you Rock! What size are the scrrens? 40 inch? What museum is that and what country?

Ok i see the flag...
Took this while was giving the house a clean so no dog hair everywhere Smile

Here is my theater. Its in a small upstairs bedroom. small, but it's awesome.
Projector: Runco Q-750d With Anamorphic Lens
AVR: Integra 80.2 processor
BluRay: PS3
HTPC: Acer Revo 1600 w/Openelc XBMC frodo
LD: Pioneer Elite DVL91
Speakers: Genelec HT208 & 8030a self powered
Subwoofer: Velodyne HGS12
Cables: Transparent XLR

(2013-01-06, 09:36)fvtalon Wrote: I just installed my new HTPC in my living room.

It's a Silverstone GD05B populated with:

AMD A6-5400K CPU
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Mobo
Kingston 8GB 1866Mhz HyperX Blu RAM
Seasonic S12II 430W PSU
Crucial M4 64GB SSD

There's a 3TB external hooked to it for now and the rest is a network share off my desktop. Next project is an unraid server I think...

Audio is from the Onkyo TX-NR609 in a 7.1 front high layout with Monoprice in-wall speakers and a 12" Bic F12 sub. Video is a Samsung 51" plasma. Control is via a Harmony 650, and android/iOS xbmc apps.

Here's a before pic: (I always forget the before pics, hence the saw stuck in the wall)

And an overall after pic (pre-htpc) when I was using my ATV2 for XBMC:

Wow awesome transformation, I like the custom work done. Did you do it yourself?

Finished my setup:

SETUP:

DISPLAY: Panasonic 50GT30
Ambilight: AtmoLigth 4 Channels (controlled by DFAtmo plugin for XBMC)
CASE: Origen AE M10-RB
CPU: ]Intel i5 Quad Core 2500T (45W)
MOTHERBOARD: Biostar TH61 ITX
GPU: Gigabyte GT520 Fanless (29W)
CPU HEATSINK: Prolimatech Samuel 17
RAM: Kingston 8 GB DDR3 (2X4 GB) 1333 Mhz 1.5V
OPTICAL DRIVE: Blu-ray HL CA10N Slim Slot-in
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB
CPU FAN: Be Quiet! Silent Wings USC 92 mm (moded to 7V)
GPU AUXILIARY FAN: NoiseBlocker Silent Fan XR2 (moded to 7V)

More pics (in these appears the GT640 moded, but finally I replaced with GT520 because I haved temps problems): http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/sho...p?t=390235 (spanish forum).

Regards Smile
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation2