2.1 instead of 5.1 sound
I have a Foxconn nettop nt-a3500 with the Realtek audio chipset. I am running windows 7 and have downloaded the Realtek Audio Driver 2.59 from Sept 28th. I am running the sound via the optical spdif port into a pioneer vsx-710s and the video into my sony tv via HDMI. I have XBMC configured for 5.1 and have both DTS and DD capable receiver checked. I have the WASAPI Realtek digital output (Realtek high def audio) device selected in XBMC. I downloaded a great 5.1 test track http://www.wooferbasstest.com/?dl=3 and have confirmed I am only getting sound out of the front two stereo speakers and the sub (so 2.1). The Dolby Digital light comes on the receiver, so the AVR recognizes the dolby digital encoding, yet only plays 2.1 When I go into my digital audio properties in windows (control panel/sound/select digital audio device/properties) I have DTS audio and Dolby Digital audio checked. I have disabled all audio enhancements. I am baffled by how the AVR gets that its dolby digital, and yet when the center or surround speakers are supposed to be producing sound, there is silence.
Dolby Digital can also mean 2 channel. Debug Log pls.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I am hesitant to call user error on this one....but maybe others can learn from my mistake. While my particular receiver correctly identified that the source of the audio was Dolby Digital etc, I had to press an additional button, DD/DTS, to activate the DD/DTS surround mode.

Hand to forehead....problem solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2.1 instead of 5.1 sound0