UI question: displaying movie synopsis
When scrolling through movie thumbnails minimal information is displayed (ie. title and box art) so that several movies can be seen at once. This is good because it allows you to quickly scan through your library. Sometimes, however, you want more information such as the synopsis and cast. I noticed that in Frodo RC1 this can be pulled up by pressing the "i" key when the appropriate thumbnail is highlighted. However, this doesn't appear to work in Eden. Is this a new feature or was it broken in Eden? Also, can I make a suggestion? It would be much more intuitive to pull up the synopsis using the Enter key (or "OK" from the remote). Currently, this key causes the movie to start playing. Since there is a dedicated remote control button for "Play" it seems unnecessary and non-intuitive for "OK" to cause the movie to play.
It should work under Eden, and does so on my system when I test it with Eden. It's possible that there's a bug in some situations that prevent it from showing up, and that bug is fixed in Frodo.

For your suggestion, you'll be happy to hear that this is already possible :D
In Settings/Videos/File lists (wiki) you can change the preferences for select/okay between "Choose, Play, Resume, and Show information".
If the "i" key doesn't display information, it may be because that key was remapped on your Eden installation? Do you have a custom keyboard.xml (wiki) file in your userdata (wiki)/keymaps/ directory? To get to the heart of the matter, you can enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC, navigate to your movie thumbnails and press "i" several times. Exit XBMC, locate and examine your debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log) and see how (or if) XBMC responded to those "i" keypresses. On the other hand, if this just a nit and not worth the effort to track down for your Eden installation, then just go with Frodo (either now or later), since you already know it works. Smile
Ned, thanks for pointing out that setting! That works much better now.

Regarding the lack of response to the "i" key. I no longer think the behavior is different between Eden and Frodo. I installed Frodo RC2 tonight (after a fresh OS install) and I ran into the issue again. This time I was careful to keep track of everythiing I did:

1) Videos->Files->Add Videos...
2) (enter network path of folder with movie files)
3) click OK
4) Select (Movies) in "This directory contains"
Current Scraper is listed as "The Movie Database"
5) click OK
6) click yes when prompted "Do you want to refresh info for all items within this path?"
7) Back out to Videos->Files->(folder just added)
8) press 'c' for context
9) select "Scan for new content"

I did this with a large folder (with 610 files). When it finished scraping I couldn't get the cover art or titles to display in the Videos->Files view. It just showed the filenames and frame snapshots taken from the movies. I did see titles and cover art in the Movies->Title view but it wouldn't respond to "i" keypresses.

I added two other folders which only had a few files in them and they seemed to work fine. Then I deleted the first folder, re-added it, and re-scraped it. This time everything showed up normally.

If I see the issue again the next time I do a fresh install I'll collect some debug logs and post them.
I couldn't reproduce the above issue after installing Frodo RC3. Maybe it had something to do with the \\freenas versus the smb://freenas style paths (which was fixed in RC3).
Ah, very possible

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI question: displaying movie synopsis0