Req Update XBMC Feature
One of the few annoyances I have with XBMC is the lack of a feature where you can upgrade to the latest version without having to uninstall the program only to re-install it shortly there after. Also, suppose you are someone who does not frequently look at XBMC's home page. Assuming you're also ignorant of the information bar displayed at the bottom of the screen, you wouldn't know if or when a new version has come out.

I found a client that somewhat satisfies this request (see: XBMCUpdate), but it is only for Windows and is not integrated into XBMC itself.

I do not believe there's a valid reason why this cannot be done since countless other programs have this. If there is a reason, however, please educate me why it cannot be made possible.
It requires XBMC to be able to launch binary addons. Because XBMC can't do this right now on most OSes, XBMC can't self-update. Some derivative versions have baked self-updating in though. Specifically, most versions of XBMC for Raspberry Pi, OpenELEC, and Crystalbuntu can self-update right now, I believe. I'm fairly certain XBMC for Android should also have that ability fairly early on.

The rest of the platforms are going to have to wait until binary addons become a true reality, which is still a ways down the road.
(2012-12-24, 10:15)natethomas Wrote: It requires XBMC to be able to launch binary addons. Because XBMC can't do this right now on most OSes, XBMC can't self-update. Some derivative versions have baked self-updating in though. Specifically, most versions of XBMC for Raspberry Pi, OpenELEC, and Crystalbuntu can self-update right now, I believe. I'm fairly certain XBMC for Android should also have that ability fairly early on.

The rest of the platforms are going to have to wait until binary addons become a true reality, which is still a ways down the road.
Why is XBMC unable to launch binary add-ons? And what would it take to make it possible?
Why I can't sail to England when I don't have a boat? Someone has to build the boat first.
(2012-12-24, 14:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Why I can't sail to England when I don't have a boat? Someone has to build the boat first.
Well, that's obvious to me. It can't happen unless someone codes it to do so. But what I wanted to know was if there was something preventing us from building that figurative boat.
Something preventing it? Not that I know of. It's something that's being worked towards that will one day bring all sorts of great abilities to XBMC.
Multiplatform Support is difficult todo (the buildside) - Not sure if binary addons are the base of in app update but i'm not into it.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I would also like to see this. Even if it was in the system menu and you had to click check for update or something.

Also I would think it would be possible in xbmcbuntu version.

One last thing and this is more of a side related question. When I launch xbmcbuntu (exit xbmc and then select xbmcbuntu - not xbmc or openbox) and then open the software updater does this essentially update xbmcbuntu? Or does it just update some components, but not the full thing? And if so and you are running a beta or RC build does it update to the latest beta or RC or the latest stable?

Also at least a feature that checks if there is an update and lets up know under system summary or something would be nice. Then maybe it could tell you where to go to get it or something.
(2012-12-24, 15:00)King Dude Wrote:
(2012-12-24, 14:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Why I can't sail to England when I don't have a boat? Someone has to build the boat first.
Well, that's obvious to me. It can't happen unless someone codes it to do so. But what I wanted to know was if there was something preventing us from building that figurative boat.

I believe this PR is what you are looking for in terms of the binary extensions
+1

I really miss this feature. I was using Kodi (xbmc) under Linux and I didn't find any problem with updating because of smart Linux package managers but recently I forced to move to M$ Windows which means I've to download then install whole setup manually whenever Kodi get a new release... This is really annoying!
I forgot to tell you why the updater is vital for me.

I'm using Kodi as portable app (using -p switch) so whenever Kodi get new release I've to extract the installer manually (using 7-zip) then move the extracted folder to portable path... this is really exhausting procedure believe me.
exhausting...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Pff, so much work
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Quote: exhausting...
If you took a look into the content of Kodi setup you'll notice there are many folders from different paths store together, for that I've to separate them whenever Kodi release a new version Sad Sad

Either way, this feature is coming: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6488

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update XBMC Feature0