Importance of GPU for transcoding
I am doing some changes to my data storage. Was wondering whether I actually need a fancy GPU or can live just with the on-board one from my Sabertooth MB. I don't play any games and run the storage "headless". However, I would like to transcode on-the-fly. Does transcoding require a better GPU or can I live just with the on-board one? Thanks in advance!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
last time I checked, xbmc does not transcode.
(2013-01-03, 16:18)davilla Wrote: last time I checked, xbmc does not transcode.

That's why this thread is part of the "off-topic" section of the forum...

Also, I read in another thread that the new UPNP server functionality works well together with Bubble UPNP, which will then allow transcoding.

Any thoughts on my question above?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
well, since there is no code out there that uses the GPU for transcode, the answer is easy. It does not matter what GPU you have.
(2013-01-03, 17:38)davilla Wrote: well, since there is no code out there that uses the GPU for transcode, the answer is easy. It does not matter what GPU you have.

That's great to hear, thanks for your help!

Given that I am running XBMC on my data storage (where the UPNP library sits) is there anything else related to XBMC where the GPU makes any difference? Or anything else more broadly on a headless server where the GPU makes a difference?
headless implies no display so GPU does not even enter into the equation.
Thanks, this is great. I thought the same and thought I could even run my headless PC without any GPU at all. My IT vendor told me that this is wishful thinking and even a headless PC always requires a GPU just to run and boot up.
I have a headless server with no gpu at all. You will need one to initially setup but after that it can be pulled.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Importance of GPU for transcoding0