Video Stutter / Refresh Rate
Hi Guys,

I'm losing my mind trying to solve a refresh rate problem. I've read every thread I could find here and on the AVS forums, but can't solve it.

I upgraded my TV and now XBMC playback is a weird. I am not dropping frames, but playback seems a hair fast and every few seconds it stutters for a moment. Panning looks very odd.

I have tried enabling Sync Refresh Rate to Content and it doesn't help at all.

If I change my desktop resolution to 1080p/24hz in AMD Control Center, then things improve dramatically, but it doesn't seem perfect. I'd much rather fix this problem the correct way.

System: A6-3500 / Windows 7 64 Bit
TV: LG LCD (120hz)

Please let me know if a Log would help etc. I would be eternally grateful to anyone that can solve this problem. If it's within forum rules, I'm happy to send some PayPal love to anyone who has a solution. I'm really at my wits end here...

Thank you,

Owen
I just tested w/ OpenELEC 2.0 and it looked great.

Anybody know why I'm having problems in Windows??
So it turns out -- I believe -- this was caused by an incorrect setting in my BIOS.

RAM was set to 13xx instead of 1600. By changing my BIOS RAM settings, the problem seems to have gone away.

My infinite gratitude to the legendary DougieFresh for pointing me in the right direction!

Owen
(2013-01-05, 19:01)newoski Wrote: So it turns out -- I believe -- this was caused by an incorrect setting in my BIOS.

RAM was set to 13xx instead of 1600. By changing my BIOS RAM settings, the problem seems to have gone away.

My infinite gratitude to the legendary DougieFresh for pointing me in the right direction!

Owen

WHAT IS THE CONNECTON Huh? RAM AND VIDEO STUTTER

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM....
I don't see the connection between your RAM and video stutter, but I could be wrong.

I believe the 'video stutter' you are seeing, about once per second, especially noticeable on slow panning scenes, is due to the frame rate of the movie not being an exact multiple of the refresh rate of your monitor. I had playback 'judder' problems and it drove me crazy.

For totally smooth playback the video frame rate must be an exact multiple of the screen refresh rate. My TV does have a 24Hz mode but I am not convinced that some trickery isn't going on internally. I achieve best results by playing back all my videos at 25fps with the TV set at 50Hz. I am currently checking out frame doubling in avisynth to interpolate frames to give 50fps playback and I have to say that so far the results look very good (but I need to play more).

I am a recent adopter of XBMC and I have to say, for me its perfect. I just love it. However, I could not get video playback to look good and play judder free. The solution was to configure it to use an external player for video playback, in my case MPC-HC. Playback is now totally outside of XBMC and I have the freedom to configure to suit me.

I use MPH-HC video player, LAV video decoder, LAV audio decoder, LAV splitter, MadVR video renderer, reclock to speed up the video to 25fps and resample audio accordingly, and have the Nvidia output set to the TV native resolution @ 50Hz. I have recently just switched to LAV from FFdshow as LAV enables the use of Nvidia Cuvid HW decoding whereas FFdshow only uses DXVA.

Results are excellent. Playback is smooth and totally judder free.

Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Stutter / Refresh Rate0