First Build
I can't count how many forums and beginners guides I have read recently. My brain is seriously starting to turn to mush. When completed, I will be replacing a Roku 2, cable box, Blu-ray player, and a NeoTV 990 (I think that is the model I have) that is currently hooked up to the system. I want this system to play music, video, and photos off the network (obviously) as well as, use Lightroom to catalog photos, and rip DVD's and Blu-ray's to the network server. Future consideration is 3D Blu-ray (we currently do not have a 3D capable TV). At any rate, here is the basic plan for my first build:

Case: Silverstone GD01B-MXR-USB3.0 (wanted USB 3.0 on the front panel, card readers, and IR receiver)

Motherboard: Trying to decide between a P8H77-M Pro LGA or P8H77-V LE (since the case can take a full ATX board, thought I might want capacity to add more cards in the future)

CPU: i5-3570k with Scythe Big Shuriken 2 cooler

Memory: 4G (2 x 2G) G. Skill Ripjaw 1333

PSU: SeaSonic SS-400FL2

120GB SSD for boot drive and one or two WD Caviar Green 3TB HDD for storage (already have an HP Media Smart Server with DVD rips, photos, and music)

Anything stand out as something that just will not be compatible in this build? Recommendations on ways to improve? Was ready to buy all of this from Amazon the other day but found the case is not currently in stock. I will wait and order everything together as soon as it is available.

Thanks for your replies,

-Kimo

looks great for a high budget htpc Smile
While "high budget" is not what I originally set out for, that is quickly where I ended up. I think I priced these components out and I was north of $1400 (with a few other extras added like the Ceton Echo Media Extender). Needless to say, I will be hoping for some sales to start popping up soon.
If one of the reasons you want that case is the LCD, just know it's a real disappointment. I had the same one in my Antec Remote Microfusion 350 and it's difficult to see and the software the controls it is meh. Honestly, it's more of a gimmick. You could probably save yourself some big money right there by choosing a nice ATX HTPC case w/o the display.

Or, if you really want an LCD and know it's not going to be great, you can buy an optional one for this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811204032. I have the micro-ATX version and it's a very good case.
Thank you Dougie for your reply. I was not looking at that case for the LCD except that seemed to be the best way to get an internal IR receiver. Other cases I was looking at seemed to be around $75-100 and did not always include USB 3.0 or the card readers. This case (for maybe $150 more) seems to cover all my wishes. If I can get the current weather to display (as they advertise) I will be happy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Build0