Alienware X51- the ultimate multipurpose HTPC.....
(2013-01-26, 00:07)bluray Wrote: Thank you for the offer Dougie, but I'm looking for a blu-ray writer though. X51 can be upgraded to any blu-ray drive which can fit into a 5.25 inch drive bay, but I'm looking for the right blu-ray writer at the right price.....the slot load drive tend to be expensive and the write speed tend to be very slow.....I'm leaning toward this "ASUS SBW-06D2X-U" USB writer......

You're welcome. Slot load is definitely expensive -- only better if you can import them in bulk. That external one looks like a good one, especially for the price.

I uploaded a couple more photos of the little X51 in the first post. Since it is taken with my kid iPad, the photos is not very good. X51 is absolutely a blast to use. There is nothing it cannot playback or handle so far. It's the ultimate media player in the house. I cannot wait to install it at the new home theater next month......

I like the style of the case and all the powerful components in it very much. Even though the case is small and tight, it is very well designed with excellent ventilation all around the case. I thought that the light on the Alien's eyes in front and on the side of the case covers might be a distraction, but it is not. It turn out that the red eyes and purple lights on the case covers are perfectly blended. The lights can be changed too. I might buy another X51 to replace my aging Dell desktop.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Here are XBMC configs, PassMark and Temps....

gt545? thought you where going with the gt650/660?
btw, your home cenima looks great - wouldn't mind some more pictures Smile

edit:
your gorgeous floor standing klipch probably wouldn't mind a rc64 in the middle Smile

That center is by far the most beautiful piece of home entertainment ever made...
(2013-01-28, 14:48)RaggSokk3n Wrote: gt545? thought you where going with the gt650/660?
I opt for GT545 to keep the price down, and I am not a gamer anyway. In case my kids want to play game, GT545 should be more than enough for them. If it is lacking, I can always upgrade it to SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 , which a lot of X51 owners did.....

(2013-01-28, 14:48)RaggSokk3n Wrote: btw, your home cenima looks great - wouldn't mind some more pictures Smile
Thanks...I'll take more photos after I installed it in the permanent theater room at the new house next month....

(2013-01-28, 14:48)RaggSokk3n Wrote: edit:
your gorgeous floor standing klipch probably wouldn't mind a rc64 in the middle Smile

That center is by far the most beautiful piece of home entertainment ever made...
It's nice to have rc64, but I'm using Klipsch floor standing speakers and two 12" subwoofers for stereo only. For movie, I'm using Energy Take Classic 5.0, which become 7.2 with two front height speakers. I like the front height config than the rear surround config.....

So how is the gaming aspect. This system begs to be used for gaming, but I am mostly concerned with modern games on a TV. Care to share your experiences to this point and some information about your TV?
(2013-02-07, 20:04)slithers Wrote: So how is the gaming aspect. This system begs to be used for gaming, but I am mostly concerned with modern games on a TV. Care to share your experiences to this point and some information about your TV?
I haven't play any game on it myself, but my kids tried some games on it. They said that it looks and sounds great....For me, I uses it mostly for blu-ray movies (1080p/3d/DTS-HD/TrueHD) and music (local drive, Pandora and Slacker). It can play everything flawless so far.....

Here are some YouTube videos- BF3 Multiplayer Part 1 Alienware x51 , Minecraft Gameplay Part 1 Alienware x51, Team Fortress 2 - Alienware X51 i3 - Max Settings .....and the Alienware X51 in the videos are equipped with lesser Intel CPU's too...

I like the form factor, but Dell/Alienware overprices their upgrades. I am wondering if it is possible to install a 680/670 GTX in one of the cheaper base models, as opposed to buying one of their more expensive X51 models? Does it still come with the requisite PCIe riser card?
(2013-02-07, 22:15)particleman Wrote: I like the form factor, but Dell/Alienware overprices their upgrades. I am wondering if it is possible to install a 680/670 GTX in one of the cheaper base models, as opposed to buying one of their more expensive X51 models? Does it still come with the requisite PCIe riser card?
You can install most dual slot cards in it. You can opt for the model with the lowest price and buy this "330 watt AC adapter", which allow you to install GTX680. The lowest X51 model only equipped with 240 watt AC adapter.....

This looks like a nice little machine, but I find it too expensive to use it as an HTPC.

However, I know you and me have complete oposite views of what an HTPC should be, as you want to be able to do everything with it (streaming sites, bluray / dvd player, little bit of gaming, you are a windows fan, etc) and I want to keep the HTPC as simple as possible (movies, tvshows, music and a little bit of radio and youtube plugins. DVD and bluray playback goes to dedicated player and I have no interest in streaming sites, and I use openelec).

For your use I guess this machine is fine. You could have gone cheaper, but sometimes that isn't important, and if you enjoy it then it's all that matters!
....and for me, mine will arrive Monday! I was tired of using underpowered HTPCs, demoed at a friends house and never looked back. Too expensive, that is relative to each individual to what is and isn't expensive.
(2013-02-08, 12:38)Govnah Wrote: ....and for me, mine will arrive Monday! I was tired of using underpowered HTPCs, demoed at a friends house and never looked back. Too expensive, that is relative to each individual to what is and isn't expensive.
I'm graduated from E350 and Atom. I don't have time to tingle, tweak and answer my kids/wife when things don't playback fluently anymore. Since I bought X51, they haven't bothered me. From time to time I ask them how they like the X51, and they said that PQ/AQ/transcode&editing speed are excellent. It bring smile to my face. Convenience is priceless..Nod
(2013-02-08, 16:03)bluray Wrote: I'm graduated from E350 and Atom. I don't have time to tingle, tweak and answer my kids/wife when things don't playback fluently anymore. Since I bought X51, they haven't bothered me. From time to time I ask them how they like the X51, and they said that PQ/AQ/transcode&editing speed are excellent. It bring smile to my face. Convenience is priceless..Nod

+1. Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is the first priority in HTPC!
That is one slick looking machine. If I hadn't just built 2 new HTPC's I would have got one of these (Even though the cost for an i7 with SSD and Windows 8 equals the same as what it cost me to build 2 of my own systems). If I get a 3rd HDTV, I'm definately getting one, its worth the price for the coolness factor alone.

Nice find bluray!
Update: I added a couple more photos in the 1st page after I mounted the LEDTV's on the wall at the new house......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alienware X51- the ultimate multipurpose HTPC.....0