Which IR receiver?
Hi searched this forum and also the internet. I want to buy a IR receiver to connect to the GPIO ports.
As I want to use my Logitech Harmony to control XMBC (at the moment openelec).

I found several TSOP receiver, but I am lost in which is the right one. Some say to get a 3.3V version, others just use the 5V one.
Anyway these I found in some forums:

TSOP4838 (5V)
TSOP34838 (3.3V)

TSOP34138 (3.3V)

TSOP31238 (3.3V)

Could someone tell more?
Well I ordered a TSOP34138. Let you know later....
Excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the topic, but how is this different from using a USB IR receiver? Any advantages/disadvantages?

I recently got a RPi and am interested in an IR receiver.
Well it saves the usb ports. But so far IR doesn't work.
As I understand you don't have to compile anymore, but I can;t find where to enable IR on openelec.
It works "out of the box" with Raspbmc
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-01-24, 22:56)JeeGee Wrote: Well it saves the usb ports.

And most of the USB receivers are boxes with size comparable to RPi. In case of GPIO you could just hide it inside the RPi case.
I would be very interested in hearing if you are able to get this working, would love for an internal IR receiver
Got the TSOP34138 working on Openelec RC2.

Had little problem until I used the modprobe command. So it works!
Did you set up lirc from scratch or did you use some predefined settings for the remote you have?
I plan to use silver apple remote and ordered TSOP31238. I've found that raspbmc should work as mentioned here before out of the box (it indeed has setup for several remotes) but I'd like to try with openelec...
That TSOP should work too. It's a bit bigger. As far as I know raspbmc should work out of the box indeed, as it has the option in the GUI.

Had to do some more with openelec, but don't rememnber the exact steps. I found it in a forum on the openelec site.
Ir receiver came and I managed to set up for raspbmc as it actually only required to record my lircd.conf. Once the "main" apple silver remote was configured it appeard that another one is a different beast and has to be recorded separately.
I was not able to set it up in openelec... I had eiter non-responding xbmc (while irw reported proper remote commands) or xbmc reacting for remote but commands repeated constantly (one left button always resulted in 2 left movers in xbmc and irw showed 7-8 KEY_LEFT and release event at the end).
JeeGee, did you get this repeating issue or it started without problems?
No, I didn't had the repeating issue. I used Logitech Harmony configured as a MS CE remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which IR receiver?0