Full screen fps changes, then all video lags after a couple of days
I have the same problem too, after 4-5 idle days, the FPS drop and I need to reboot Windows to watch my movies.
I'm using the newest 13 alpha 9 and I also have this problem. After about a day I went to play a 1080i video and the OSD showed it was playing at 220 fps, and then back down to 50 and back and forth in the hundreds, even though I have vertical sync locked to 60 fps. Even when it said it was running at 220 fps the menu and OSD was extremely laggy, almost like it was running in slow motion. Closed and rebooted and everything was back to normal. This has happened several times in the past month since I've been leaving XBMC open longer.
lol, it just happened again, except it went all the way up to 572 fps and became totally unresponsive!
This is really starting to piss me off. I built a new computer with XBMC v12.3 and it's STILL doing it! Should be set to 60 fps, but eventually drifts to 31.25 fps.
A new motheboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, onboard video, and a clean windows install. The only thing that's the same is my case and the iMON Soundgraph LCD driver software.

After a day or two it goes to 62.5fps. Then as you can see in the picture, just after 5 days of up time the screen refresh rate drops to 31.25fps. I know after another day or two my system would have become unresponsive.

What the hell? I really want to recommend XBMC to everyone. But not after having this issue on two completely different computers.

Before I was using an ATI video card. Now I'm using an Intel Haswell onboard HD graphics. So it's not the video driver.

Has anyone found a fix for this bug? Is there even a bug report being tracked?
I have had this bug for 3 years...just saying.
(2014-01-22, 23:35)ihaveworms Wrote: I have had this bug for 3 years...just saying.

It doesn't seem like it's just a bug to me anymore. It's more of a major flaw.

How does anyone even download and use XBMC if it doesn't even function for more than 1 week, or even 3 days!? WTF

Do the developers even use it outside of one day for bug testing?

I can see the problem almost instantly after a clean reboot. The FPS starts off stable at 60, then slowly dances around 1 point every few seconds. Then it just slowly gets worse and worse. If I can find a good screen capture program I'll make a time lapse movie to document this problem.
I feel the same as you. I have tried making scheduled tasks to shutdown XBMC and restart it, but it never seems to start the program back up. Every time I go back to my PC, I see XBMC has shutdown but hasn't booted up. I have tried making batch files, programs to kill the process and relaunching, etc. Nothing seems to work.
I've created a ticket in the bug tracker.

There have been some changes in respect of the GUI fps in the latest nightly builds. Someone has been playing around with frame rate code recently. But sad to say the problem hasn't been repaired yet. The GUI and video playback still become jerky after 7 days of up time.
(2014-02-02, 06:57)Skram0 Wrote: I've created a ticket in the bug tracker.

There have been some changes in respect of the GUI fps in the latest nightly builds. Someone has been playing around with frame rate code recently. But sad to say the problem hasn't been repaired yet. The GUI and video playback still become jerky after 7 days of up time.
And of course Martijn says the issues are non related. I don't think you will ever get a dev here to admit this issue exists.
(2013-02-14, 11:41)zaphod42 Wrote: Otherwise I'll take plan B and restart XBMC whenever resuming from standby...

Cheers,
Zap
You can close and restart XBMC upon sleep/wake with XBMClauncher. Still a workaround, but hey, if it works...

(2013-02-13, 14:27)vexation Wrote: If nothing else seems to fix it, you can always cheese it by creating a scheduled task to kill and restart XBMC at 0300 every morning or something?
I already do this. HTPC reboots from hibernation every morning at 5.30. Goes back to sleep at 5.32. I did this more or less precautionary, because, well... Windows. Rolleyes

EDIT: oh yeah, well worth mentioning: I use the PC as a dedicated XBMC-box and it never fully shuts down, only hibernates.
Same problem here... it's been like this for the last 3-4 years. Just as the 24p audio-sync bug it seems like the bugs are not prioritized because they're too hard to fix or something... You learn to live with it after a few years... and hey, XBMC is free Wink
System: XBMC Gotham 13.1, HTPC: AMD 6450 1GB, Intel i5 3470S, 8GB DDR3, ASUS P8H61-M PRO, OCZ SSD Agility 3, NYXboard Hybrid Remote
Surround: NAD M15HD2, NAD M25, B&W 803 Diamond, B&W DB1, B&W HTM4, Pioneer KRP-600A / Panasonic 65VT50
Same problem here. Makes the argument for Openelec more compelling.
Heart 
Still have an issue with 13.0 beta 4. After so many days the framerate gets real jumpy. Like a strobe effect. It seems different than it used to be in 12, like there's some progress with this issue. But XBMC still becomes unstable after a few days of being on. I still don't understand how a program with this massive of a bug can become so popular!? I know it's free and all, but free software that doesn't work is not really the thing I wake up every morning eager to download and run.

Don't get me wrong, I really 'like' this program, even donated, but with every build there's always some small amount of hope that this issue has been taken care of. I really want to turn my 'like' into 'love', and repairing this issue could do that.

EDIT: Also, I have my database on an unRAID cluster of hard drives. All my drives sleep after an hour of inactivity. If I program my XBMC machine to reboot every day then when it scans the network share for changes all my hard drives wake up every single day for nothing. I'd rather have them sleep when not is use and only wake up when necessary. Only a single drive will wake up when I want to watch something that's on only one drive. Best way to keep the wear and tear down on my drives. And I'd rather have my XBMC scan for changes on boot up so everything's current every time it's loaded. Saves me the hassle of trying to remember to update the database manually.
This issue still exists in Gotham final release. I think I'm going to give Mediabrowser and Plex another try.

I don't have to restart any other piece of software every day to get it to function properly, and it's just crazy that this issue has been going on for years with no one willing to look into fixing it.
Gotham 13.1 beta 1 still has this issue, and I'm not hopeful beta 2 will make any difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full screen fps changes, then all video lags after a couple of days2