Will this busted laptop be sufficent?
Here are the specs
Hardware
Product Name dv6910us
Product Number FE653UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache 512 KB + 512 KB L2 Cache
Memory 3072 MB
Memory Max Up to 4GB DDR2 (Up to 1 GB may not be available due to 32-bit operating system resource requirements)
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150 M
Video Memory Up to 1071 MB
Hard Drive 200 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN

Bluetooth
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots

One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-11 (modem)
1 TV-Out (S-video)
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
2 headphone-out
1 microphone-in
1 notebook expansion port 3
1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
1 Consumer IR

Dimensions 14.05" (L) X 10.12" (W) X 1" (MIN H)/1.56" (MAX H)
Weight 6.06lbs
Security

Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
Power-on password
Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

65 W AC Adapter
6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)

What's In The Box HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

HP Mobile Remote Control

----------------------------------------------------------
I formatted this pc and did a fresh install of vista and am working on removing all of the bloatware, getting everything up to date, and wanting to use it as an HTPC. I don't rip my dvds to the pc though I may start in the future but if I do I would create a NAS to hold that media. I mainly want to use this PC hooked up to my TV to be able to cut the cord. We don't watch a lot of TV and figure with Netflix and Hulu we should be able to cut the cord. I am aware of the limitations/annoyances of using netflix with XBMC (hulu intergration seems a little less painless) I would like to move music over to the laptop and do some emulation using Hyperspin as I have a pretty extensive collection of classic video game consoles basically stoping at the N64/Dreamcast era. Is this pc sufficent for my needs?
It should be ok.

I had a Lenovo R61i that I was using as an HTPC. It is an Intel dual core 1.7 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit XP, that I used for a while. It was decent, until I tried to play 1080p movies (Although it seemed to work early on), where it would drop frames while playing. I was only able to assign 512Mb to video memory, and I think that's where the problem was. 720p played just fine. I didn't try a fresh OS install though, seeing as I had planned to build a proper HT-PC anyway, and had enough parts around to build one, once I was satisfied with XBMC and the HTPC idea. In my case CPU usage was pretty low, at around 15 to 20% IIRC, so you shouldn't have an issue there.

My current HT-PC is an AMD AM2 2 core at 2.8GHz, 4 GB ram (Though I only ever seem to use around 1GB), and with the GT220 (1 GB RAM) video card installed I have flawless 1080p playback. Though I seem to need to shut the system off completely, not just hibernate, every few weeks, otherwise teh frame dropping seems to come back, probably RAM not getting wiped, like it should be. When I tried using the onboard video of the MoBo (512 Mb video memory), I got frame dropping when trying t9o play 1080p, though, not nearly as bad as when I used my laptop. It was enough to make me put the video card back in though.

Since you already have the laptop, just go a head, install XBMC and try it. That's exactly what I did with my laptop, to test out the idea. The best way to determine whether something works or not, is to try it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will this busted laptop be sufficent?0