Need help upgrading parts
Hi guys, I've decided to upgrade my old pc for xbmc and medium gaming (PES, Assassins Creed, Battlefield 3), my problem is that I don't know which parts should I upgrade...(maybe all of them? =/ ). If anybody has any advice I would appreciate it, thanks!

My budget is 600 dollars, and these are the original specs:

CPU AMD PHENOM II X4 940 3.0GHZ QUADCORE CACHE L3 6MB AM2+ BE BO

WESTERN DIGITAL AALS BLACK 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD4850 PCIE16X DX10 512MB

GIGABYTE MA790X-UD4P AMD790X AM2+ FSB5200 4DDR2 PCIe

CHASSIS ATX TREETOP SPEED-767 FAN 25MM BLACK (SF)

POWER SUPPLY TOPOWER M2 600W ATX 12V2.0 20+4 PINS BLACK

2 x DDR2 KINGSTON 2GB 800MHZ PC2-6400
What would you like to be able to to with xbmc?
I would like to be able to play 3D movies (mkvs), 1080ps mkvs, and have True-hd and dts-hd audio. As far as gaming, it doesn't need to be at full resolution, just to be able to play the games. I've been reading and it seems I could re-use my power supphy and chassis, but might have to change everything else. Any advice would be helpful.
AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz

GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-D3H FM2

SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0

SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W

Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB)

You can re-use HDD + Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD1CCA 2.5" 64GB....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hey bluray, thanks for the input!. That looks reallyy good, my only problem is that It would be better if I could re-use my ATX Chassis and power supply because I will buy the parts in NYC and can't travel with to much weight back to Chile =/ . Any advice on an ATX motherboard, I could still pick AMD A10-5800K right? Thanks!
You should be able to use bluray's suggested micro-ATX motherboard in your ATX chassis. The only real difference is the number of expansion slots. Which chassis and PSU do you already have?

The ATX version is Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H.

J&R and B&H Photo are good NYC stores to find these parts from . I order from both all the time -- great customer service. I'd love to visit them sometime. A quick look though and I am having a hard time finding FM2 motherboards available for pick up.
Hi Dougie, didn't know micro-atx were compatible with ATX Chassis, this is the one that I have http://www.madboxpc.com/contenido.php?id=4527&pag=4

My power supply is a TOPOWER M2 600W http://www.chw.net/foro/reviews-f45/2990...ition.html

I've look on J&R and B&H websites, and since I'm definitly going to B&H to buy a camera I was hoping to buy some pc components. Since I don't have an address to ship to, I was thinking on using Amazon's locker system, and maybe order online parts that cannot be picked at B&H.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Hi guys, after much thought I've decided to build an htpc just for movies and music, and leave the gaming to the xbox. Reading the forums I've come to this configuration:

[MOBO] ASRock MB-A75MHVS Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
[CPU] AMD A8-3870K APU with AMD Radeon 6550 HD Graphics 3.0GHz Unlocked Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core
[SSD] Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2
[RAM] Kingston Hyper X 8GB (2x4GB Modules) 1866MHz DDR3 XMP Desktop Memory (KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX)
[HEATSINK] Scythe SCBSK-2100 Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler

Since I can only use Amazon's locker system, and the SilverStone ML03B is too big for it, I will buy it from Chile.

Is it a good config? The only thing that I couldn't find in Amazon was the Seasonic 400w power supply...any recommendations? It has to be shipped by Amazon =/ or maybe I cuold buy this one in Chile? Is it an overkill?

http://www.sym.cl/ficha/8003/

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help upgrading parts0