Cortex A15 Dual
Warmly welcome!
As a preliminary sorry for the spelling I use a translator ..
In site www.howchip.com is mainboard ARMBRIX Zero
would like to be familiar with your opinions on it
Yours;
Bogdan
I think the issue with the Exynos chips is access to the VPU (which does H264/MPEG2/VC-1 decoding in hardware rather than requiring the CPU to)

There is a strong suggestion that the Odroid (which is based on a Quad A9 Exynos) will have enough support to allow some form of access to the VPU (an Ubuntu build with early Mali GPU support was released on 8th Feb) - so that might be hopeful if they are similar.

Also the same chip as on the Armbrix/Arandale boards is also in the Samsung Series 3 Chromebook laptop - and people are actively hacking that to run Linux (albeit without proper GPU/VPU access).

The CPUs may be powerful enough to do decoding without access to the VPU - but this is likely to be a lot more power hungry. (And that means cooling etc.)
The Exynos makes use of V4L2-MFC kernel decoding and is well equipped to decode many formats, including the ones mentioned above (as long as licenses are being paid / unlocked in the SoC). Everybody mentions the Odroid line up as soon as we speak about Exynos, but don't forget the FXI Cotton candy has an Exynos SoC as well, and those guys are looking at that thing a lot longer then the hardkernel guys Wink

There is experimental support for MFC on the surface (Gimli his repo), but I expect more to exist under the surface Big Grin

So again, it looks very promising if you just ditch the full blown linux stuff.
- Linux kernel
- Proper framebuffer support
- Buildroot OS
- XBMC directy on the FB
- MFC decoding for video.

Kick Ass!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cortex A15 Dual0