Best streaming box for me?
After hours of reading Im lost. I currently stream from my media server using Universal media server to my Ps3 and it works but its limited. It uses too much power and cant use Hulu ,Navix ,Netflix etc...because its on CFW or they are not supported. What I want is a box with Xbmc to stream multiple types of videos (mkv,mp4,avi,etc.) from my media server and in the near future start using Netflix or Amazon or Hulu. I don't need a browser or gaming I just want a dedicated streaming box I dont have to move a flash drive to and from to watch movies in sd or 1080p. I have a wired gigabit network so no need for wifi and budget is $250 or less. Also needs to be wife friendly and not say Apple. I have the skill to mod/build anything just need pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,branden

Ps I would just move the pc to the living room but my wife says no. So..... if I want to be happy she needs to be happy
The entry level devices to consider would be a Raspberry Pi or a Pivos XIOS.
Netflix HD counts out Atom/Zacate based builds. It also means Windows (Netflix uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin with DRM). Have you budgeted $100 for a copy of Windows? The remaining $150 has to buy you a motherboard (cheapest mini: ECS) H61H2-I3, CPU (Celeron G530), 4GB RAM (DDR3-1066) and a hard drive or SSD (min. 64GB), case and power supply (Apex MI-008?).

There's this if you want to deal with it (no idea if it'll work): http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watc...)_in_Linux

(2013-02-14, 06:23)cpmiller22 Wrote: The entry level devices to consider would be a Raspberry Pi or a Pivos XIOS.

Can these play Netflix, Amazon and Hulu?
If Netflix is going to be an issue I can always use my Xbox 360 I was just hoping to keep it to one device. As for a copy of windows I have a extra copy I never used from when I bought the gaming notebook. So that should put me in better hardware but at the same time I don't want another power hungry device on all day like my ps3 is half the time. As we explore more and more streaming options we watch less and less tv and @ $100 a month for Directv the wife came up with the idea of canceling the tv and going streaming only. At $1200+ a year she will let me build/buy the 4 different streaming devices we need and 3-4 different streaming services and it'll still be cheaper .Also Thank you for the prompt reply's.
I've been in the same boat.... was using both my 360 and PS3 for years until pretty much the end of 2012 (broke down and decided to build 2 new HTPCs and get back on the XBMC wagon as I hadn't used it since the good old XBox days).

I can never go back. If you can increase your budget... building your own HTPC (or getting someone to build one for you) is the best way to go..
Do you think you would spend more time in xbmc or Netflix? The raspberry Pi takes almost no power to run, but won't run advanced skins like Nox. The XIOS is also pretty good on power. Another thing people don't always consider up front is the noise, size, heat factor. Personally I don't want a large noisy PC running in my living room. I love having a device that is small with no spinning parts. Another option is the ATV2 which do Netflix. I have one with the Quartz skin hooked up to one of my smaller tv's and it works great. Only drawback is that cant do 1080.
(2013-02-14, 14:39)cpmiller22 Wrote: Another thing people don't always consider up front is the noise, size, heat factor. Personally I don't want a large noisy PC running in my living room. I love having a device that is small with no spinning parts.

I know you said that you've read a lot of posts here,...but I think you'll find that the majority of posters here also had concerns about a PC with heat, noise, and being too big for the living room. That being said,...from what I've read and built myself,...I have a "PC" that is silent, has no heat issues,..and has no spinning parts. (thanks to a SSD drive). Take a look at my A6 build in my signature,..and I'm sure others can also say the same about their builds.

You also say that cutting the cable bill saves you about $1200 a year. Use that as leverage when justifying spending a little more.
and remember,.."Happy wife, Happy life". Wink and don't forget, TODAY is Valentine's Day. Ha
Quote:I know you said that you've read a lot of posts here,...but I think you'll find that the majority of posters here also had concerns about a PC with heat, noise, and being too big for the living room. That being said,...from what I've read and built myself,...I have a "PC" that is silent, has no heat issues,..and has no spinning parts. (thanks to a SSD drive). Take a look at my A6 build in my signature,..and I'm sure others can also say the same about their builds.

Totally agree you can have a very quiet PC. I also run a Zotac ID40 with a 32gb ssd that is small, cool, and quiet. I was running Windows on it so I could use Skype and a few other apps. Recently I switched over to openelec and very happy. The reason I was suggesting a PI or XIOS is that is meets the low power, < $250 requirements.
This little guy "Intel BOXDC3217IYE Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Intel HD Graphics 4000" seems to fit your descriptions. If you really want the best streaming HTPC or XBOX 360/PS3 killer, you want to go with this guy "Alienware X51 mini gaming PC for multipurpose HTPC" instead. It's a little pricey, but it will easily pass the wife/kids tests......after they abducted by the Alien lights on the front and side covers, you'll hear them say this "it's very cool, it's very unique, I never see one like it, it's super fast, etc."....and thank you dad!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-14, 06:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Netflix HD counts out Atom/Zacate based builds. It also means Windows (Netflix uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin with DRM). Have you budgeted $100 for a copy of Windows? The remaining $150 has to buy you a motherboard (cheapest mini: ECS) H61H2-I3, CPU (Celeron G530), 4GB RAM (DDR3-1066) and a hard drive or SSD (min. 64GB), case and power supply (Apex MI-008?).

There's this if you want to deal with it (no idea if it'll work): http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watc...)_in_Linux

(2013-02-14, 06:23)cpmiller22 Wrote: The entry level devices to consider would be a Raspberry Pi or a Pivos XIOS.

Can these play Netflix, Amazon and Hulu?

Atom + ion plays netflix HD in windows 8. But no remote support yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best streaming box for me?0