Can I "fix" audio output?
Dear All

Is there a way how I can "fix" the audio output hardware's setting? So that XBMC does not auto-select an existing output (like Speakers or Headphones) when the correct output is not available?

Background: I'm using an AV Receiver that usually is switched completely to off (not stand-by) due to power consumption. Audio hardware settings are set to "WASAPI: HDMI 'device'"
Since I manually generated an inf file for the combination Denon/Samsung as a "monitor.inf" - I have no issues anymore with video and audio selection under Windows 7 (before it also set always the default communication device to Speakers; now it remains at HDMI.
Not so under XBMC.
If the HDMI output is currently not available while starting up XBMC, it changes the settings to "Directsound: Speakers" - although there is nothing connected.

My current work-around is to switch on AVR, end XBMC and start it again.

Can I somehow "advise" XBMC to keep the "WASAPI HDMI 'device'" connection in its settings although it's currently maybe not available?

I hope, my crude description may somehow be understandable.

Thank you in advance - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
This problem happens to me also. One suggestion is to disable all other playback devices and keep only the hdmi in your windows sound settings.
(2013-02-16, 11:28)baijuxavior Wrote: This problem happens to me also. One suggestion is to disable all other playback devices and keep only the hdmi in your windows sound settings.

Thanks for the hint, bavarian xaver? Wink ! Does this work for you? During week-end I have "restricted fumbling" from my family Big Grin
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
I didn't check it as my avr is faulty and sent for servicing. By the way, my handle is Baiju Xavior as in Saviour.
(2013-02-16, 17:50)baijuxavior Wrote: I didn't check it as my avr is faulty and sent for servicing. By the way, my handle is Baiju Xavior as in Saviour.
So please excuse me for misusing your name.
I'll try this evening and report back.
Thanks a lot, I can imagine, this will work...

Greetz from Switzerland - Chris
I have the same issue. It's extremely annoying. I'm thinking about switching to optical output, but this does not support TrueHD
It only fixes part of the problem, as I see it.
I disabled all other output devices - and
1. it takes couple of time that XBMC is not responding - 'bout 30 sec's
2. it then selects "DirectSound HDMI 'device'" - which is not a complete solution: it only outputs Stereo, not 7.1. But it's definitvely better than before. I FEEL this can be solved!

Any ideas, folks? Can I disable DirectSound? Don't need it anymore.
Further tests follow.

Kind regards - Chris
ok, another time re-configured XBMC to WASAPI: HDMI 'device' and completely switched off the AVR (before it was in stand-by)
Re-booted and XBMC says "Error - no device found" and I have no other selectable device - thus, this is no solution.
If I have AVR in stand-by it selects DirectSound: HDMI 'device' otherwise error...
Created a feature request under http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156453
If you support it, please drop your "+1" there...

Thank you and kind regards - Chris
Hope they will fix this problem. I always used to start the avr first before powering htpc. Optical out can be used, but it does not support hd audio.
+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I "fix" audio output?0