Severe Video stuttering on ASUS mobo/Realtek spdif - please help!
Question 
I've read FAQs that seem to suggest the problem is in Realtek drivers and sound in general, and tried all that I found: disabled and removed realtek drivers (installed Microsoft instead), set audio to "analog", tried WASAPI and Directx, stereo and pass-through etc. - video on some files stutters terribly, while the same files play just fine using Windows Media Player or VLC player.

I need to use Realtek built-in audio via spdif to my receiver (older Denon model that doesn't have HDMI but can play DTS and DD via spdif). Media Portal did it well, as other players.

Has this been solved? It's seems weird that I can't make it work - it's one of the most popular sound interfaces and I don't see why it shouldn't work. Other software has no problems with it. This is a huge deal for me, I'll have to move back to Media Portal if I can't solve this, and I fell in love with XBMC so that would be a shame...

Any ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks.
When I tried optical out on my asus mobo, xbmc starts to stutter during video playback. But everything works fine when hdmi is used.

In audio settings set speaker system to 5.1 and enable dts and dolby only in avr passthrough option.
If you want to use the Realtek driver you'll likely need to use the Directsound - SPDIF device.

An easy place to start off with would be:

Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound - SPDIF

If that's ok then switch to

Audio Output: SPDIF
Passthrough output device: Directsound - SPDIF

If stutter now starts, unselect all the "capable receiver" options and try again.

If then ok enable the "Dolby Digital capable receiver" and "DTS capable receiver" options one at time.

If still ok then finally try

Speaker Configuration: 5.1
(2013-02-18, 11:21)baijuxavior Wrote: When I tried optical out on my asus mobo, xbmc starts to stutter during video playback. But everything works fine when hdmi is used.

In audio settings set speaker system to 5.1 and enable dts and dolby only in avr passthrough option.
Tried that - no effect. I can't use HDMI, my receiver doesn't support that input.

(2013-02-18, 12:52)jjd-uk Wrote: If you want to use the Realtek driver you'll likely need to use the Directsound - SPDIF device.

An easy place to start off with would be:

If that's ok then switch to

If stutter now starts, unselect all the "capable receiver" options and try again.

If then ok enable the "Dolby Digital capable receiver" and "DTS capable receiver" options one at time.

If still ok then finally try

Speaker Configuration: 5.1

That's the exact strategy I was using. I have stuttering at all settings, even at the first step (analog, 2.0, Directsound - SPDIF) . Stuttering is much worse in WASAPI but still bad in spdif. It's not equally noticeable in all videos, but the one I really noticed it that made it unwatchable plays just fine in VLC and WMP. The PC is ok - Intel core i7, 6Gb RAM, Win7 x64.
One addition: most movies play just fine, however some have this problem, and those play fine in other players...
Can you please post a Debug Log of you playing something while you got the following settings:

Make sure to copy it to Pastebin.com then add link to a post here.
(2013-02-18, 09:34)romandesign Wrote: I need to use Realtek built-in audio via spdif to my receiver (older Denon model that doesn't have HDMI but can play DTS and DD via spdif). Media Portal did it well, as other players.

Have you try Realtek from here- High Definition Audio Codecs? You can select Realtek audio output in Windows 7 control panel and configure Frodo as shown in my screen shot below. With proper connections and configurations, Realtek should work fine on Frodo....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I think I tried this and with those drivers, but I can't be sure now, so I'm going to repeat and report the results here. It's weird that it doesn't happen to all files, just on some. Most play OK. Those that don't play just fine in other players though, so it's not the files themselves.
One update: the files that do stutter show up with "AAC" symbol in the file browser. Receiver shows "Dolby Digital" when they are played, setting AAC pass-through in XBMC does not make any difference... All files so far that show up as "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" play OK.

(2013-02-19, 12:29)jjd-uk Wrote: Can you please post a Debug Log of you playing something while you got the following settings:

Make sure to copy it to Pastebin.com then add link to a post here.

Not sure I'm using Pastebin correctly.. The full log didn't fit in there.

First part: http://pastebin.com/yBSiYBA1

Second part: http://pastebin.com/C0arvJC2

(2013-02-19, 21:50)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-18, 09:34)romandesign Wrote: I need to use Realtek built-in audio via spdif to my receiver (older Denon model that doesn't have HDMI but can play DTS and DD via spdif). Media Portal did it well, as other players.

Have you try Realtek from here- High Definition Audio Codecs? You can select Realtek audio output in Windows 7 control panel and configure Frodo as shown in my screen shot below. With proper connections and configurations, Realtek should work fine on Frodo....

I tried those drivers again - same thing. Debugging OSD shows FPS drops to about 10-14.
(2013-02-20, 05:05)romandesign Wrote:
(2013-02-19, 21:50)bluray Wrote:

I tried those drivers again - same thing. Debugging OSD shows FPS drops to about 10-14.
You can find some more tips from here- Simplify XBMC configurations......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Severe Video stuttering on ASUS mobo/Realtek spdif - please help!0