Tried Raspberry Pi, good but not good enough. any alternatives?
(2013-03-07, 12:18)Kibje Wrote:
(2013-03-07, 12:10)HiSoC8Y Wrote: What is the minimum HW requirements in order to do the following:
- Play all movies, all formats/types, including 3D?

Impossible to anwer because the question is extremely broad.

If you want to play 99% of all the normal released content (mostly h264 codec) and you have an AV-receiver (so you can bitstream the audio to it, which means way less CPU usage) you could use a very cheap system with hardware video acceleration like an intel or ION2 system, or even some Android systems. With these choices your mileage may vary - not every device will have the same experience !

If you want to be able to play all 100% content that exists, you would need the fastest multicore system and thick videocard.

I mentioned the Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing) because it is in my opinion at this moment a nice overall experience. It can do hardware accelleration of video, has a little bit of CPU power to be able to get a nice experience with heavier skins and is pleasantly priced. DrowningApe seems to agree.

The NUC would be my device of choice if I was buying a new device at this moment - I currently have a fanless Shuttle XS35GTv2 (ION2) which is fine for my purposes.

Thanks for this info....im kind of liking the intel NUC....but it doesnt have a built in IR receiver, does it?

Have you seen Zotac ID 83? what are your toughts?
I'm using a cheap MCE remote IR dongle and a Logitech Harmony. A built in IR receiver wouldn't do me any good with the NUC behind my TV.
Would a NUC running linux be able to handle live tv using an USB EyeTV? Like, could it replace a HD Homerun (but be single tuner)?

as for remotes, could you use one of those motorola xbmc remotes that use RF as well as IR in order to control the NUC and the AV receiver?
You could always try a barebones kit. Something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...&CatId=332
(2013-03-07, 16:30)DrowningApe Wrote: I'm using a cheap MCE remote IR dongle and a Logitech Harmony. A built in IR receiver wouldn't do me any good with the NUC behind my TV.

Are you able to cold boot using the Harmony remote from the USB dongle?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tried Raspberry Pi, good but not good enough. any alternatives?1