Upgrade Satellite reciever, or build HTPC with sat card?
Hi all,

I've currently got an Acer Revo R3600 running openelec XBMC, and a Dreambox DM800 streaming my satellite content into XBMC via the VU plugin.

As the Dreambox is only a single tuner, I was looking to upgrade to the recently released VU+ Solo2 for the additional tuner, and to try and speed things up a little.

The Solo2 costs about £300, and it got me thinking I could just build a HTPC and install a couple of DVB-S2 cards for little more than that.

I've got the added benefit that all my equipment is installed in a very cold location, out of view with no limit on size. This means I don't need to worry about buying a case to match my AV equipment etc... just standard PC case will suffice if it saves ££'s.

My only requirements are that the system can run 24x7 and remain reliable, and that I can connect other XBMC clients to the satellite feeds in this build (whilst recordings are running, and possibly video playback all at the same time)

Would anyone be able to reccomend some hardware that might be suitable for my needs, and hopefully without going over £500?

Many thanks
Stu
Personally I'm waiting to see how the Prismcube progresses, hopefully it will be out this year. Does anybody else have any more information on it? Are they (Marusys) working with the XBMC devs?
I've seen them mentioned, but to be honest I could do with getting things moving before the wife insists we go back to using the original Sky box.
I'd also be interested in the ability to add more than 2 tuners to the setup and serve them out to my other XBMC machines
I don't know anything about the release date. I however see that the prismcube site has changed and they add a lot of videos. Sounds like it might be coming, although I cannot find any official publication about its release date, which is painful (how longer can I wait...). Looks very promising though.
From a Satellite forum:
Quote:Dear members.
we had today nice news.

The price of PrismCube should be lower than solo2
and maybe PrismCube will be availale on this june.
(2013-04-22, 14:00)bgoldie Wrote: From a Satellite forum:
Quote:Dear members.
we had today nice news.

The price of PrismCube should be lower than solo2
and maybe PrismCube will be availale on this june.

That would be nice! Which forum did you find it?

ok, just google :-)
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/th...ice.12333/
I was (and still am) interested in the PrismCube, but I've already started putting a HTPC together.

So far I've got;

Case - Corsair Graphite 600T
PSU - Corsair CX500
Cooling - Corsair H100i
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55
CPU - Intel i3 2120
Memory - Corsair 6gb XMS3 DDR3
HDD - Seagate 500gb SATA
Graphics - N/A (using onboard for now)
Tuner - TBS-8920 PCI DVB-S2 card
O/S - Windows 7 Pro.

So far it's cost me well below my budget, so once I've set it up and tested it, I will buy more tuners (or a dual/quad), and possibly upgrade the CPU.

Would anyone be able to advise if I should also run a graphics card, or should I just leave it running through the on-board?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade Satellite reciever, or build HTPC with sat card?0