Old DESKTOP found, good enough?
Hi all,

I found an old desktop i had, its a HP Pavilion Desktop slimline. I was wondering if this build would support Openelec and if so which one would be the best one to install on it.This would be for the bed room or game room as im already going for a shuttle build for the living room.

The specs for the build are : https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcat...P324AA.htm

Will it play 1080p stuff as it does have a dedicated GPU..I currently have Vista installed in it and am wondering if Openelec is the best way forward or can i use the Win/XBMC combination successfully?

Thanks
Doesn't say what kind of processor you have, or how much RAM, but I would guess that you can run XBMC on Windows fine on this system. For a better experience you could remove the video card and get a cheap Nvidia replacement with HDMI out.
cool, thanks. I thought it had the full specs, sorry about that.

It has an AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.64Ghz and 3GB ram and Vista 32bit

Thanks
Should be fine even using onboard video decoding. I'd throw in a cheap, low profile, Nvidia card with HDMI just for easier output options; HDMI instead of DVI to HDMI which can't carry audio. If you look carefully you should be able to find a card for less than $30 that is low profile and does audio over HDMI. Search the forums; I am sure recommendations abound.
Thanks for the reply. The reason this card is ideal is because the tv that im using right now only has DVI as an input however i was planing on upgrading so thanks for the tip!

Will have to go digging around for a cheap one in the UK. Is Nvidia the best option to use with XBMC?
Nvidia is the best choice if you ever think you might want to go the Linux route, but both will work on Windows. Nvidia keeps your options open. Maybe look for a GT210, those should be pretty cheap by now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Old DESKTOP found, good enough?0