best cheap htpc for xbmc?
Simply do some research online and eventually buy a Raspberry Pi, install either XBian, OpenElec or Raspbmc on it and you are done. In total you will spend less then €70.
Or an Arctic MC001. $100 for barebones on Amazon. Add $20 for ram and a DVD drive.

There is a huge thread about them on here. I have one and it works quite well for all the 720p files I stream to it. I used to own a Raspberry Pi and its a dream compared to it. Just go with an 8 GB usb drive and Openelec. Ace skin works great.
@cwide Install openelec with a usb drive for the Artic MC001?
(2013-04-02, 19:03)TwistedNy Wrote: @cwide Install openelec with a usb drive for the Artic MC001?

I installed Openelec on a 8 GB USB 3.0 drive (on a back USB 2.0 port). Cost me $6 from Microcenter. Just set to boot from USB (will need another USB drive of any size really to install Openelec from). I imagine installing to a small SSD would probably be better, but I was going with cheapest build and it's ok for me.

I used to have some issues before Openelec released 3.0.0 ... now it is pretty good. I will warn you browsing media will not be the same as an i3 HTPC with an SSD, but it should be comparable to the other systems people are recommending in this thread. The new Ace skin is fantastic. Aeon Nox was bearable, but a little slow.
Arctic with Openelec 3 and 4gb and SSD and a REALLY big video library... Aeon Nox is really going well... (everything is streamed from NAS)
Can you install an internet hard drive in the Arctic? Sorry for the stupid question but I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.
I just bought this from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEC7...UTF8&psc=1

what else could i add for another 50 bucks that would help the performance?
What is an internet hard drive?

So you went with AMD graphics. Shame...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
lol sorry about that I meant to say internal hard drive
If you bought it you can either install Openelec to a USB drive or an internal hard drive. The arctic barebones doesn't come with a hard drive, ram, or optical drive.

I think if you want best performance find a 32 GB SSD and install Openelec on it. I use a cheap USB drive and it's fine for me.

Don't worry about the AMD graphics. All my HD stuff runs fine.
(2013-04-03, 05:34)cwide Wrote: All my HD stuff runs fine.
Except your HD audio Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good to hear thanks for all your help cwide. SSD are a little expensive I have 40gb sata from an old play station that i was thinking about using. Would that hard drive work with the Arctic?

I also had a couple of more questions if you don't mine answering

1. What type of memory does the Arctic take? (would like to order some before it arrives)
2. Should I install windows and xbmc on the hard drive or go with openelec?
3. If I do go with Openelec which version works best with the Arctic?
Just got my Arctic in and it looks sweet. Can't wait till the ram I ordered comes in. What remote control would you recommended for this box? I wonder if a good universal remote would work good. If you really think about it you just need a like 9 buttons to work. Up, down, left, right, select, menu, stop and back.
you need context and info as well.

EDIT "menu" is presumably "conext" so "info" is the only extra one you need.
Can anyone help with the installation process for openelec? I currently have windows 7 installed on my Arctic and i am not to happy with it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best cheap htpc for xbmc?0