Audio question
Ok thanks for help guys, this helps a lot now.

No i don't have any 7.1 material at all, only 5.1

thanks for you time Smile
(2013-04-05, 09:37)steelman1991 Wrote:
(2013-04-05, 00:14)bluray Wrote:
(2013-04-04, 23:04)corky Wrote: I thought 5.1 was correct as I have a 5.1 setup ?
Try to verify your surround sound with 5.1 option on Frodo using Dolby Digital demo- Channel Check....you'll find out what I meant....you'll find that out that 7.1 option in Frodo playback correctly on all 5.1 surround sound speakers, but the 5.1 option mess up the surround speakers mapping....

That check is for Dolby Digitial Plus (a codec commonly found in HDDVD titles - though rarely if ever seen in BluRay titles). This does nothing to confirm whether the users system is working correctly or not, unless he has titles with Dolby Digital Plus (different entirely to Dolby Digital and other variants). If he has 5.1 then 5.1 checked will give the correct playback with the correct set-up.

I'm not referring to all other Demo video in the same link. The 5.1 Channel Check is not just for DD+. My friend contacted Dolby Digital, and they told him that it is for checking any 5.1 surround sound system. My system checked out find with Windows, Onkyo, etc surround sound tests, but Frodo mess up the surround sound mapping when selected 5.1 and the 5.1 Channel Check tested fine when 7.1 channel is selected in Frodo......selecting 7.1 will work for all channels when it is setup for bitstreaming to AVR for decoding....the AVR should know exactly how to process all raw codecs from HTPC and playback it correctly on any surround sound speaker below 7.1 config.....with the 7.1 selected in Frodo, you'll never have to worry about any audio codecs mapping is in-correct.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
It's actually encoded with a Dolby Digital Plus (enhanced AC-3) track (check with mediainfo), therefore requires the player or codecs to support that - Frodo doesn't, therefore the file won't even playback in 'passthrough' and is therefore useless in determining channel mapping in that regard . The system has to be changed (as shown in your screen shot) and passed to the avr decoded. Having done so, the file maps perfectly well in my set-up using 5.1, 7.1 decoded internally - using Frodo.

ATI 7850
Anthem MRX300 AVR
(2013-04-05, 18:51)steelman1991 Wrote: Having done so, the file maps perfectly well in my set-up using 5.1, 7.1 decoded internally - using Frodo.

ATI 7850
Anthem MRX300 AVR
If you don't mind, what audio file did you use to test 5.1 channel mapping on Frodo?
The m2ts file - in the link you gave. Wouldn't have thought the container is going to make a great deal of difference the encoded signal is the same. Will try with the others though.

Just had a look and there is only 1 Channel Check File suitable for Windows 7, which is the m2ts file previously referred to.
(2013-04-05, 22:08)steelman1991 Wrote: The m2ts file - in the link you gave. Wouldn't have thought the container is going to make a great deal of difference the encoded signal is the same. Will try with the others though.

Just had a look and there is only 1 Channel Check File suitable for Windows 7, which is the m2ts file previously referred to.
You can try this Dolby Digital 5.1 file too- Test AVI-AC3.....

If you used any other audio file to verify your 5.1 surround sound mapping using Frodo, I don't mind try it.....

Where it stand right now, Dolby Digital capable receiver option in Frodo is not working on any of my HTPC.....
OK just tried that one and again all channels mapped correctly (this time both in passthrough and decoded state) - though I fail to see the significance of the test (its just a bog standard DD audio track and is a totally different codec variant to the other) - really proving nothing, other than that my set-up can both bitstream and decode DD - and frankly I would have expected the same result 10 years ago .

If you're system is having difficulty with simple DD I would suggest its a hardware, rather than software issue. Post up a small sample file of a stream you are having difficulty with and I'll test that and see what results I get.
The AVI test file works fine on my surround sound system too. What I'm trying to prove is that the only way to get all audio codecs (including DD+) works right in Frodo is by configure Frodo audio output the same as the screenshot I posted in the earlier post. If you configure it any other way, it'll mess up DD+ surround sound mapping.......
That was never in debate, because DD+ isn't supported in Frodo, it is the only way. What you are making is a sweeping statement that "enabling the DD capable receiver option is not working on any of your HTPC's", which is only actually true for the DD+ encoded files - which xbmc doesn't support and of which there are few, if any, unless you have ripped old HDDVD's. It will work, with caveats (ie not with DD+ encoded files), so perhaps time to add that caveat when discussing the issue, particularly for those who want to bitstream and have no need or desire for DD+ playback.

Its really a moot point, other than for those who like to see the lights on their AVR's (which in most cases is why users are on here with issues, beacuse they want bitstreaming), as DD or TrueHD is happily encoded, mapped and passed correctly by xbmc to the AVR.

EDIT - might want to change your statement in your signature as well "I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!", because if that is your set-up posted previously, you are actually "encoding" all DD streams - not bitstreaming Wink Pedantic I know but true none the less.
(2013-04-06, 09:54)steelman1991 Wrote: That was never in debate, because DD+ isn't supported in Frodo, it is the only way.
It is supported by Frodo. That is why it is capable of decoding it with properly configurations. If it is not supported, it should never work with any option....

(2013-04-06, 09:54)steelman1991 Wrote: EDIT - might want to change your statement in your signature as well "I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!", because if that is your set-up posted previously, you are actually "encoding" all DD streams - not bitstreaming Wink Pedantic I know but true none the less.
As the main words "HD audio" suggested, the statement still hold true....TrueHD/DTS-HD still bitstreaming with the configurations I suggested. I'm always think that most users wanted everything to work, that is why I suggested the configurations that will works correctly for all audio codecs.....
I thought I could be pedantic, but you take the award - well done - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine - point 5

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio question0