Cheapest HTPC with 23.976fps and HD bitstream
Wicked, exactly the answer I was after. My concern was a slow UI, but we'll give it a go. If its crap, i'll use it my upcoming Freenas box

Cheers.
Hi,
Let mi refresh old topic as it refers to my question.
I'd like to build HTPC (XBMC Win/Linux, doesn't matter for me) with the least effort using the hardware which I own
Currently I have Dell Optiplex 780 SFF with E8400 on board, integrated music card witout any int/ext SPDIF, PSU 280W. I'm planning to buy ZOTAC GeForce GT 720 (ZT-71202-20L), which theoretically supports DTS-TrueHD, DTS-HD

HTPC will be connected to AVR Onkyo TX-SR578 -> Optoma HD26. What I want to achive is to obtain DTS-HD from .mkv files or BD.

Is it enough to invest in graphic card or I need to buy additional music card and connect SPDIF internlally?

Regards,
nVidia (and AMD) cards have built-in HDMI audio sub-systems these days, which are totally independent of any other sound devices. In Windows, with the correct drivers, they will appear as another sound device in the Windows Control Panel. With OpenElec similarly.

Only the very early graphics cards with HDMI outputs (effectively the first generation or two) needed an external SPDIF feed for HDMI audio (thus limiting the cards to DD/DTS and PCM 2.0)

Any current, or recent, nVidia consumer graphics card with an HDMI output will bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby True HD audio over HDMI AFAIK.

I doubt it will be an issue - but make sure that any graphics card you purchase is compatible with the power supply in your PC - some may need an additional power connector, or draw more than your PC is really able to supply. For modern low-end (no need for a high-end card for HTPC use - even mid range can do high quality deinterlacing and very high quality scaling?) this is unlikely to be an issue - but it is something to bear in mind, as is GPU fan noise. If you care enough about audio to listen to HD Audio, you presumably also want your HTPC to be as quiet as possible. (That's why many of us are now using very quiet solutions like the Chromebox. The Pi 2 is lovely and silent - but won't bitstream HD Audio though)
Thank you for clarification. I guess it's clear for me. Or at least more understandable than beforeSmile

Power supply will no be a problem. 300W is recommended, but 280W is enough with a small reserves. I tested GT720 in another Optiplex with the same configuration. Unfortunately I was not able to test it for home theater, only for gaming.

I live in city center and there are a lot of background noises so at the beginning it will not bother me. Probably it will be next step Smile. Anyway I'm going to choose version with passive cooling.

Are you able to propose alternative for GT720 with better price-performance ratio? Zotac is available for price of ~55$.
(2015-03-07, 16:16)kapral Wrote: Thank you for clarification. I guess it's clear for me. Or at least more understandable than beforeSmile

Power supply will no be a problem. 300W is recommended, but 280W is enough with a small reserves. I tested GT720 in another Optiplex with the same configuration. Unfortunately I was not able to test it for home theater, only for gaming.

I live in city center and there are a lot of background noises so at the beginning it will not bother me. Probably it will be next step Smile. Anyway I'm going to choose version with passive cooling.

Are you able to propose alternative for GT720 with better price-performance ratio? Zotac is available for price of ~55$.

Sadly not. I stopped using GPUs with the GT430. My current set-ups are all Intel integrated GPUs - mix of Haswell Chromeboxes and an i5 Haswell NUC. Couple of Raspberry Pi 2s now in service where I don't need HD Audio - for £30 it's unbeatable value.
This should do everything perfectly fine

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-NVIDIA-GeFor...00LZKWVJW/

AKA a passively cooled 730 is about all thats recommended around here. At least from what I have seen. It will handle HD Audio and proper 24hz video just fine. Its also low profile for fitting into smaller cases and with no power connector needed you don't need a high wattage PSU. And at $60 its cheap compared to other GPUS.
Thank you for your suggestion. It looks fine Smile

Full support for TrueHD and DTS-HD means that DTS-HD MA will be also available?
(2015-03-09, 23:31)kapral Wrote: Thank you for your suggestion. It looks fine Smile

Full support for TrueHD and DTS-HD means that DTS-HD MA will be also available?

DTS-HD is shorthand for the two DTS-HD standards of DTS-HD MA (Master Audio) and DTS-HD HRA (High Resolution Audio).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest HTPC with 23.976fps and HD bitstream1