IR Controlled PC Power Switch
Thankyou OP, I can vouch for this method. It works perfectly.

There is one difference however, although I happen to own the exact same device (was sitting around the house for a about a year doing nothing), the solder point that I used did not come straight from the diode (at least if you follow the track from the top side), It was the hole *closest* to the diode, as per the photo attached.

As OP has mentioned, you must press the button twice, as this device purely emulates a press of the power button, which means the first time you press it - its as though you have depressed the power button and not let go of it, you must press a second time otherwise your computer will do a hard shutdown - exactly the way it does when you hold down the power switch.

holy shit! take 2 actually:

Tonight i tried to bridge 2 points on the el cheapo IR board (im not an electronic engineer or anything so dont blame me if you burn your house down) - thinking that somehow i could trick the board into switching itself off immediately after it switches on, avoiding having to press the remote button twice - hence avoiding the virtual "holding the pc power button down" scenario. Did a quick bit of prodding around with the multimeter, and then had a semi blind stab at bridging 2 points together, lo and behold when i pressed the assigned button on my remote control, the led on the IR board flicked on and immediately off again - SUCCESS! hooked it into my htpc again a few minutes ago and presto. Single button press to wake the pc up, and single button press to go back to sleep.

Some pics of top and bottom:

The only 2 issues are:

You cannot reprogram the IR code on the board while the 2 points are bridged, so program your desired button first then bridge the points. I think when those points are bridged it messes with the switch soldered on the board.

On my pc at least (HP DC7800) having this board hooked up will not allow the pc to completely shut down (if you try a full shut down, it powers back on immediately after it shuts down, unless you unplug the usb cable of course) This however is a non-issue for me as i never ever have the pc switched completely off, the only states it lives in is either ON, or S3 sleep.

Thanks again to the OP, finally a solution to something thats been nagging me for like forever! and didnt cost me a cent!! You rule.

Any real electronics gurus out there, if there is something hideously electronically wrong with this, please let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR Controlled PC Power Switch3