If case size is not an issue
I'm building a ventilated closet, so mATX etc are not critical. What kind of build would you go with if size was not an issue?

John
More importantly than size and case...

What is its purpose?
Your pretty basic group 6 HTPC.

I had a build posted on here a week or so ago that got no attention, but then I got started thinking that I wouldn't need a mini build since it's going to be in a custom closet.

I'm shutting off cable, since about all I watch is House/NCIS reruns, a couple things on HGTV and hockey and cycling. I will keep the cable net connection, which also includes the very limited basic cable.

I can work with the sports streams that are available, and there is a legal torrent site for cycling for all of those vids, and I put XBMC on an XP laptop (Thinkpad A31) just to play around with it, and it looks like it will do everything it needs to.

So either the mini build that I posted, or a bigger case version, just looking for opinions on which way would be better.

John
When they move HGTV to the preferred tier and you gotta get your House Hunters fix, you'll be back... (evil laugh)
(2013-04-23, 22:35)Dougie Fresh Wrote: When they move HGTV to the preferred tier and you gotta get your House Hunters fix, you'll be back... (evil laugh)

Hah! House hunters just irritates me, all these people whining about the amenities in their third world vacation place and similar.

I did notice on my initial light pass through that Income Property, Property Brothers and Bath Crashers were not available on the HGTV through...NaviX? I think? Or maybe free cable, dunno, I was playing with a few different things superficially.

John
(2013-04-23, 22:35)Dougie Fresh Wrote: When they move HGTV to the preferred tier and you gotta get your House Hunters fix, you'll be back... (evil laugh)

Nooooo, say it ain't so. I can't miss my Love It Or List It!
(2013-04-23, 23:27)rip_king Wrote:

That show stresses me out. Same stupid old houses with a million problems. Just give her more money and quit crying about it.
(2013-04-23, 23:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-04-23, 23:27)rip_king Wrote:

That show stresses me out. Same stupid old houses with a million problems. Just give her more money and quit crying about it.

Yeah, that's their old "formula" type show. He can't please them until the last house, she pulls out the miracle finish, and 9/10 times they "love it" because sentimentality wins over practicality. phneh. ("Are you going to love it or..." hosts look at peeps, peeps look at each other, hosts look at each other, peeps look at hosts and voila! Just like property virgins and a couple others used to do for their ending)

Anyway, back to the build question. I'm obviously new to the HTPC world, and I've tried going through eskro's build lists (Which are excellent), but the hardware in a lot of them is outdated. I'm still confused on whether a Celeron will do bitstreaming HD sound (DTS and whatever), AMD's run hot, yadda yadda.

I already have a net capable blu ray, so no need to rip and blu ray discs. I'm not going to be running 3d for the forseeable future, it would most likely be a Windows since from what I've seen, the Linux builds have problems with the 23.whatever FPS stuff. For sound I'll be running to an Onkyo that is about 3 years old.

Been reading a ton, some of it conflicting and a lot of it kind of confusing (Which being a programmer by trade, I find odd, but there you have it.)

John

(2013-04-23, 23:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That show stresses me out. Same stupid old houses with a million problems. Just give her more money and quit crying about it.

The one that got me (As long as we are WAAAAYYYY ot anyway), was the "green" couple that wanted to spend more money than needed to reface their old cabinets because it's better than building new custom ones for less money and better function. "OMG, we've been drinking water coming through lead pipes!"...honey, that's the least of your concerns...

John
JohnP: Take a look at my signature below. My A10 build was built for the very same reasons you described and I have to say,....I'm extremely pleased by the results.

Whatever you decide to build,..would love to see description and pictures of the end result!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
If case size is not an issue0