HTPC cpu fan super loud on i3
I have a i3-3225 cpu with a corsair CX-430 psu. the case is a fractal node 304. MB is the ASrock H77M mini itx. Everything is stock fans but for some reason the cpu fan is really loud. I returned the cpu/fan at the store for a replacement and the replacement was just as loud. I cant figure out if its the mb causing the fan to be so loud or if other people are having the same problem with the i3-3225 cpu's.
When I owned a i3-3225 I didn't even know it was there.

Have you looked into BIOS and changed fan settings? Look at CPU temps?

Is your heatsink installed correctly?
(2013-04-24, 17:32)cwide Wrote: When I owned a i3-3225 I didn't even know it was there.

Have you looked into BIOS and changed fan settings? Look at CPU temps?

Is your heatsink installed correctly?

Yeah its really strange. A buddy of mine built the exact same system and his is quiet from what he tells me. Problem with the bios is its plugged into tv so everything is so big i cannot really see the bios settings.Looking at the bios updates they have some that say cpu code but nothing more than that. Which makes me think cpu code is just adding new cpu models.
Hmm... bios has always showed correctly on my TVs. I used to own an ASRock board.

There are a lot of fan speed settings in ASRock BIOS. Just might need to find a monitor and mess around. Or possibly hook up your tv via VGA and see if that makes a difference in BIOS.
(2013-04-24, 18:53)cwide Wrote: Hmm... bios has always showed correctly on my TVs. I used to own an ASRock board.

There are a lot of fan speed settings in ASRock BIOS. Just might need to find a monitor and mess around. Or possibly hook up your tv via VGA and see if that makes a difference in BIOS.

Good idea. is there any recommended settings for where the cpu temp should be? or maybe its a bad motherboard and not cpu/fan?
Do yourself a favor and go with the Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes. You'll be glad you did.
(2013-04-24, 19:15)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Do yourself a favor and go with the Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes. You'll be glad you did.

I would prefer to just save myself the money on another fan if i can. Plus if the issue is something else it might not matter what brand fan I put in there.
Im wondering if those little brass post that the mb sit on if one wasent tightened all the way would that cause it to be uneven slightly and cause the issue? seems far fetched but thats really the only thing I can think of as far as physical wise. I made sure the wires were not near the blade, i re-routed it.
ASRock BIOS by default runs all fans at full. You need to change that in the BIOS. I usually put it at level 3 or 4.
(2013-04-25, 03:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: ASRock BIOS by default runs all fans at full. You need to change that in the BIOS. I usually put it at level 3 or 4.

Will 3 or 4 be ok! It is set to full. I don't want the CPU to cause any damage. Is there an auto spin faster if i set it lower and it gets hot!
(2013-04-25, 03:17)hewligun Wrote: Will 3 or 4 be ok! It is set to full. I don't want the CPU to cause any damage. Is there an auto spin faster if i set it lower and it gets hot!

The level denotes how fast the fan spins below the temperature indicated. As it gets towards (if it gets towards it) the target temperature, it will ramp up and go beyond that level to provide appropriate cooling.
(2013-04-25, 03:39)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-04-25, 03:17)hewligun Wrote: Will 3 or 4 be ok! It is set to full. I don't want the CPU to cause any damage. Is there an auto spin faster if i set it lower and it gets hot!

The level denotes how fast the fan spins below the temperature indicated. As it gets towards (if it gets towards it) the target temperature, it will ramp up and go beyond that level to provide appropriate cooling.

Setting it to 3 did spin it down and it was better for a bit but just idling in the xbmc menu after sometime it seemed to spin up to full speed again. So frusterating. My i5 doesnt do this at all. granted its using a different motherboard.

I cant really figure out where the problem lies. 2 bad cpu fans or if its a MB issue. Any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC cpu fan super loud on i30